Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard starting after stall

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hard starting after stall

I have a 2001 Cherokee XJ 4.0L. On a few occasions while driving, when I came to a stop sign my engine would stall and would not start unless I held the excelerator pedal to the floor. And even then it would take several seconds for the engine to start. If I didn't keep the RPMs between 3 and 4000 the engine would idle down and stall again. If I could keep the RPMs up for about a minute the engine with then smooth out and would run fine. I have recently replaced the injectors, removed and cleaned the throttlebody and the idle control valve. My thoughts are now toward the fuel pump. I plan to use a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure in the next day or two. Any thoughts. This is very frustrating.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I checked the fuel pressure today at Autozone. Their guage showed 46 PSI which is good. Since the issu I am having only occurs when slowing to a stop, they suggested it was likely an Idle Air Control Valve. I had cleaned it and the throddle body a week ago but apparently the IACV was sticking open and at stop it was acting like it was flooding. Put in a new IACV and it seems to have corrected my problem. All is good so far. Problem solved!!!