Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard start after injector swap

Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 V6
Default Hard start after injector swap

After I replaced the head gasket on my 2001 XJ, I decided to replace the injectors with the 4-hole ones. The Jeep runs great, but it has a hard time starting. When the engine is cold, it seems to be ok, but once it has ran, and restart, it takes a few seconds followed by the awful crank noise of the starter.

I wonder if I have the vacuum hoses on the intake right. Not sure that can be a problem on this as the Jeep runs great afterwards, but if anyone has a pic of their intake, it might be helpful.

Thanks,
Old 02-13-2017, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

No codes?

I would reset the ECU to be sure (google the procedure, pretty simple) and see if there is any change.

If not - it is something other than the ECU. Is the throttle body clean, IAC and port clean as well?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 V6

I like to think that the TB is clean, as I had taken off the intake to replace the head gasket, and did a complete cleanup. I am not 100% sure the vacuum lines on the right side of the intake were put back correct. The one in the middle can't go wrong, but you never know with those other two.

i think the battery was dead, but I did not do an actual reset, so that I will do next. I am also not sure why the starter makes that noise. Is that because I have to turn the key for 2-3 seconds?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I think it may be two separate issues...the crank time and the starter. How covered in grease is it? Has it ever been changed?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Have you cleaned the connections or even the rest of the grounds... by the dipstick for that matter? How are the flex plate bolts?