Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

grinding in 4 high......

Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 h.o.
Default grinding in 4 high......

so my cherokee has around 80,000 miles on it, and when i put it in 4 high, if im going below 15 mph it wont even engage, it just grinds soon as i start to let out the clutch most of the time, but if im going down the interstate or highway speeds on icy roads and put it in 4 high for traction, it stays in fine, unless i slow down and really get on the throttle, like during off roading, then it starts grinding again....can anyone help me please? where do you think i should start looking?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

u have to be at a full stop to put it in 4wd, that would explain why it is grinding when u try to engage it, u shouldnt be using 4wd at highway speeds either, nor should u rlly be using on pavement. snow,dirt,mud,grave, etc.. is when it should be used
Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 PM

thats actually where it started, i would stop to put it in 4 high, and after the light turned on and it said it was in part time, soon as i let the clutch out it would start grinding. the only way i can get it to engage is if im moving, other wise it just grinds
Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 PM

Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

I know (with my command trac 231 transfer case at least,) that you can shift in and out of 4 wheel drive on the fly, while in gear below something like 55mph. Sometimes it's actually better to be moving slightly even in transfer cases that recommend stopping because it allows the teeth to mesh. If this grinding noise is anything like my dad's ram 1500 it means that it is slipping out of 4WD. Maybe adjusting your cable linkage could help the problem?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
u have to be at a full stop to put it in 4wd, that would explain why it is grinding when u try to engage it, u shouldnt be using 4wd at highway speeds either, nor should u rlly be using on pavement. snow,dirt,mud,grave, etc.. is when it should be used
You're assuming he has an np231, sounds to me like he has an np242 which you can switch 2wd, 4hi part time, and 4hi full time at any speed. Only stop for 4low.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 PM

Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

Okay, let's just clear something up here. The following is taken from http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/NP231 it applies to the 242 TC as well. "Using the 231 is straight forward. During normal operation on road the shifter will be in the 2-hi position. The operator may shift into 4-hi while driving if the situation requires more traction."
Old 01-26-2011, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

I'm obviously thinking of a different transfer case than the 231 since I was under the impression that the 232 was full time 4 and part time 4 low, nothing else.

Edit: I see now what I was thinking, nevermind

Last edited by Hoooper; 01-26-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: Renix 4.0L

Is the grinding coming from inside the transfer case? or somewhere else? my jeep did something similiar to this. but it was the splines in the front drive shaft that were stripped and it would grind like crazy when i got on the gas in 4hi or lo
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Engine: 4.0

My jeep simply grinds in 4lo because the linkage is out of adjustment, and everyone i know that owns a cherokee's is because for some reason, our bar will not adjust out anymore...maybe just take a second and manually try and switch it into 4hi on the Tcase...just a thought, and hopefully it'll be as easy as that
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dev_daddy
Is the grinding coming from inside the transfer case? or somewhere else? my jeep did something similiar to this. but it was the splines in the front drive shaft that were stripped and it would grind like crazy when i got on the gas in 4hi or lo
it sounds like its in the t case, i can feel the handle vibrate too, and in 4 lo, its perfectly fine, doesnt miss a lick, this is what i have to use on the nasty trails. the only time i use it on the fly is if im going about 35 on ****ty icy roads on the highway (common here), not actually highway speeds, or if im coming into mud or deep snow on a trail, all at low speeds, and just into 4 hi. i was assuming i could do this as long as it was just into 4 hi, i know i have to completely stop for 4 lo, because my ramcharger was the same way, as long as i was below 55, i could do it on the fly.....so you think i should check my linkage to my transfer case? like i said, it sounds like its in the transfer case, its just 4 hi, and it did it the same before and after i did my transfer case drop recently.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sheepdog
it sounds like its in the t case, i can feel the handle vibrate too, and in 4 lo, its perfectly fine, doesnt miss a lick, this is what i have to use on the nasty trails. the only time i use it on the fly is if im going about 35 on ****ty icy roads on the highway (common here), not actually highway speeds, or if im coming into mud or deep snow on a trail, all at low speeds, and just into 4 hi. i was assuming i could do this as long as it was just into 4 hi, i know i have to completely stop for 4 lo, because my ramcharger was the same way, as long as i was below 55, i could do it on the fly.....so you think i should check my linkage to my transfer case? like i said, it sounds like its in the transfer case, its just 4 hi, and it did it the same before and after i did my transfer case drop recently.
Yes I would check the linkage. I could be loose and not engaging the gears fully.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by thelittlebrutethatcould
My jeep simply grinds in 4lo because the linkage is out of adjustment, and everyone i know that owns a cherokee's is because for some reason, our bar will not adjust out anymore...maybe just take a second and manually try and switch it into 4hi on the Tcase...just a thought, and hopefully it'll be as easy as that
I have the same problem. Check the bushings in the linkage. I had crazy slop in mine. 5.99 at autozone or 20.00 at the dealer. Makes a big difference.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM

so ya i just slightly adjusted my linkage....and its fixed lol. im gonna fab a bracket pretty soon to lower the linkage 1 inch to be better alligned with the transfer case side of the linkage, so its not at such an angle and liable to get bound up or quickly wear out the rubber grommet. thanks for the info guys. feel kinda like a jack wagon for not thinking of that myself....i just adjusted the clutch linkage on my dad's and my 74 ford high boy.....
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sheepdog
so ya i just slightly adjusted my linkage....and its fixed lol. im gonna fab a bracket pretty soon to lower the linkage 1 inch to be better alligned with the transfer case side of the linkage, so its not at such an angle and liable to get bound up or quickly wear out the rubber grommet. thanks for the info guys. feel kinda like a jack wagon for not thinking of that myself....i just adjusted the clutch linkage on my dad's and my 74 ford high boy.....
Good to see it worked out! Damn that linkage!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM

lol ya for sure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: grinding in 4 high......