Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Grand Cherokee springs....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Grand Cherokee springs....

From a 4.0L work great, IF YOU WANT TO LOWER THE FRONT 3 INCHES!!!! So I finally have an off day that I can put in those Grand Cherokee springs that I've read so much about, saying that I will get an inch and then I will use a spacer to get another inch and a half or two, wrong.
When I got my XJ spring out and did the side by side, I was like crap, the Grand spring was almost 3 inches shorter .
But I put them in anyway just to see, looked like an old school dragster with 30 degrees of rake. So I spent all afternoon using bad information. I ended up getting about an inch and a half using some spacers and my XJ springs but it's not what I wanted.

Some advice to people who want to do a budget boost with junkyard parts: Don't do it, buy a complete kit and save your self hours of heartache. I also did the Dakota leafs on the back, another PITA. The center bolt was too wide for the XJ leaf's. If I could do it again, I would buy a complete kit in A SECOND.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by nopardaid
From a 4.0L work great, IF YOU WANT TO LOWER THE FRONT 3 INCHES!!!! So I finally have an off day that I can put in those Grand Cherokee springs that I've read so much about, saying that I will get an inch and then I will use a spacer to get another inch and a half or two, wrong.
When I got my XJ spring out and did the side by side, I was like crap, the Grand spring was almost 3 inches shorter .
But I put them in anyway just to see, looked like an old school dragster with 30 degrees of rake. So I spent all afternoon using bad information. I ended up getting about an inch and a half using some spacers and my XJ springs but it's not what I wanted.

Some advice to people who want to do a budget boost with junkyard parts: Don't do it, buy a complete kit and save your self hours of heartache. I also did the Dakota leafs on the back, another PITA. The center bolt was too wide for the XJ leaf's. If I could do it again, I would buy a complete kit in A SECOND.
So you don't think I'm trippin about reading this before, https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/che...t-guide-16371/ post #6
Old 11-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I think you are correct but make sure you get the V8 front springs from the GC. Use the spacers sparingly, in other words only one not stacked up.