Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

got a squeak, squeal, or clunk? (i see a lot of these questions these days)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default got a squeak, squeal, or clunk? (i see a lot of these questions these days)

do you have a weird noise coming from your jeep? ive seen a lot of posts about queaky this and clunky that. so i figured id post something to try and asses different noises...

-squeak/squeal noise from engine bay: probably a loose and slipping belt, or a bad pulley. tightening might help, but the noise is generalyl a sign to just fix it.. with the belt off the pulleys, you can spin them to make sure they spin freely.
there is one other thing that does seem to happen that causes a whistling noise. its when the bolts on the manifold loosen just a little (usually only one bolt).

-clunk or pop from underneath (probably front end): there are a few different areas that will cause similar noises. so, where to start...
the MORE common issues seem to be the u joint (in wheels or drive shafts)/cv joint/cardon joint. a good way to test what parts might be faulty is to get under your rig and start yanking on stuff. id start with the drive shafts. in park, try twisting both drive shafts. there should be no play at all. play or squeaking is the result of a worn joint. if its really bad there will probably be a vibration when driving. next, check your wheel joints. an easy way to test for a bad u joint is to jack up the tire, grab it top and bottom and pull back and forth. does it move? if so your u joints are probably going. things like track bar, TR, TRE and bushings are all things to check. try yanking on stuff to see if there is play. another good test is to have somebody "shake" the steering wheel. by this i mean have somebody turn it back and forth from 11 O'clock to 1 O'clock while you look underneath at bushings to see if there is, once again, any play in them. other parts of the front end that will result in weird noises or clunks are the control arms. if the bushings are worn (as with any bushing) you will have this issue. the lower control arm mounts on the axle are usually right in harms way on a trail and quite commonly take some abuse. a good preventetive measure is to get some HD mounts that can take a hit.

this is just a general reference to these issues and is only some of the more sommon issues that you may encounter. please post anything you feel is relevant and/or a correction to my input. just trying to help!!