Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Got a new xj!! but theres a catch...

Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Got a new xj!! but theres a catch...

Hey... I just bought a new 97 xj... it just needed a new radiator..I just replaced it.. got a few questions if someone could please help that would be great... the electric fan is nuts! i dont understand this... it never comes on.. once in awhile when i try the ac it will start with the compressor.. but half the time the ac compressor doesnt turn on when i try that.. it does need a recharge.. i hope thats the only problem with the ac.. but why will it not come on? i replaced it and its doing the same thing... and is it normal for my jeep to run at temp a little under 210 when driving around.. and if i sit in idle or some thing it climbs up between the 210 220 mark.. i think maybe 215? it never gets hotten then that any how.. and i have noticed the heat isnt all that HOT.. its pretty warm but just not as hot as i would like.. living in MN think i just need a flush? or is it the fan? ... and second problem i can lock the doors with the auto botton but wont unlock.. passenger side works fine.. i replaced the switch with one from the junk yard.. but it does the same thing? any ideas? and last thing.. what do you guys think of undercoating the rockers?? im thinking i might give it a shot... since i think jeeps tend to rust out quick around there... PLEase give some advise thanks....
Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the way the ac is set up with the elctric fan . It only comes on when ac is in use.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite a few vehicles run like this. In my protege, i have 2 fans, one kicks on with the AC only, the other is on a sensor. I had another that kicked on with just the AC (i think that one was a pontiac). I would say, as long as its not overheating, its ok. Try a flush though, it cant hurt. You may have a small clog.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Your electric fan comes on when you use ac,defrost,and when temp reaches 217 degrees when car is below 35mph. If it is not working it could be your ac charge is low enough that the low pressure cutout is not seeing enough,relay,or temp sending unit.
From your descreption you should check your ac charge and recharge if needed and see if that resolves the issue.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
...If it is not working it could be your ac charge is low enough that the low pressure cutout is not seeing enough...
From your descreption you should check your ac charge and recharge if needed and see if that resolves the issue.
Bingo, he'd mentioned that his AC needs to be charged, I was going to mention the low pressure cutoff, but some one beat me too it, hehe.

I would absolutely check this first, go down to CSK, buy one of those recharge kits, see if that's it...