Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Good vinly repair kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 PM
j01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Good vinly repair kits?

Drivers side , door side, bottom side near plastic adjacent to door.. I think the duck tape method is making it worse (creating new tares where the tape is not applied). Any suggestions for a brand (link) to something that will be a more permanent fix, hold up to heat and movement etc..?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by j01
Drivers side , door side, bottom side near plastic adjacent to door.. I think the duck tape method is making it worse (creating new tares where the tape is not applied). Any suggestions for a brand (link) to something that will be a more permanent fix, hold up to heat and movement etc..?
You can get a kit at Walmart, online Amazon and eBay. But they are all temporary fixes. You can also buy compete door panels on eBay. I would suggest looking there and buying a complete set. Just remember 84-96 panels are mostly the same, 97-2001 work together but won't fit for 96 and back.

Don't forget in the future to say a little about your Cherokee. Year, trim level, miles etc. Helps everyone give good and relevant advice.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut

You can get a kit at Walmart, online Amazon and eBay. But they are all temporary fixes. You can also buy compete door panels on eBay. I would suggest looking there and buying a complete set. Just remember 84-96 panels are mostly the same, 97-2001 work together but won't fit for 96 and back.

Don't forget in the future to say a little about your Cherokee. Year, trim level, miles etc. Helps everyone give good and relevant advice.
As mentioned above.
Also, I would see what your local jy has. You may find everything you need. One other thing, it's called duct tape not duck tape.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I thought he was speaking of the vinyl on the lower sides of the seat where they tear all the time, mostly the drivers side. If so I had the same issue with my seat, I went to an upholstery shop and they pulled the cover and replaced that section for $59. It was just black vinyl and I thought very reasonable for the repair, seat looks like new now.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:06 AM
j01

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I thought he was speaking of the vinyl on the lower sides of the seat where they tear all the time, mostly the drivers side. If so I had the same issue with my seat, I went to an upholstery shop and they pulled the cover and replaced that section for $59. It was just black vinyl and I thought very reasonable for the repair, seat looks like new now.
Yes, thats the spot, not the door panel. I have seen this tear on other jeeps as well. I was maybe considering trying Gorilla tape over "duct" tape, hopefully the adhesive is truly better and not just a tougher material. Heat and movement are the main problem. I might just have to go with your suggestion though because I think these tapes are just causing more problems..
Old 05-06-2015, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

I'm sure it would be cheaper also if you pulled/installed the seat and took it to the shop, I did not.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
As mentioned above.
Also, I would see what your local jy has. You may find everything you need. One other thing, it's called duct tape not duck tape.

Hey Robert, they do have a brand called "Duck Tape" lol. Real cheap knock-off sold in some discount places, not worth the $1 it sells for
Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

I've upholstered for years, for a living, and it really is much better to replace that section rather than trying to patch it. After 30 years, I've never a found a vinyl repair product that held up more than a few weeks, and most only hold up to vehicle applications for a few days.

Removing the seat is easy. Removing the cover isn't that difficult. If you have a heavy duty sewing machine, its a repair you could even attempt yourself. You simply cut the seams to remove the ripped panel, use that as a pattern to cut the new panel, and then sew it in place. A home sewing machine, most likely won't work, although I have seen some home units that might be capable. At worst, you could take the cover and the new panel that you cut out to an upholstery or canvas shop, and just have them sew it. That would probably cost you less than the tape and repair kits.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Hey Robert, they do have a brand called "Duck Tape" lol. Real cheap knock-off sold in some discount places, not worth the $1 it sells for
Now we are into my non Cherokee world! As a purveyor of fine tapes and adhesives for quite a few years let me wade in...Duckbrand is a low end tape, marketed mainly to teenagers looking for funky colors and patterns to make prom outfits. The day to day real "duct" style tape is made by 3m and gorilla brand. Both offer a wide range on light to heavy duty tapes for general use on almost any project. Gorilla and the 3m extreme tapes all have a heavy duty outdoor rated adhesive and give a lot of grip. It's worth mentioning that none of these are actual "duct" tape. They are all utility tapes, real duct tape is traditionally foil, backed with a special adhesive that resists the condensation and moisture from AC systems.

Random information download complete. Back to the thread.

Since I understand now it's the seat, not the panel. Ditto the the above advice. It's easy to unbolt the seat and get it fixed at an upholstery shop. Much easier than finding a replacement and the tape is always a temp fix...although I do have some 4 year old gorilla tape on the edge of my headliner.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 AM
j01

Just an update, I tired the Gorilla tape (the wider version/2-1/2"?). I had one larger tear and maybe three or four 1/4" tears, all in close proximity. The wider tape was a perfect size since it went from just below the top of the vinyl down to just above the plastic. I applied probably a four inch strip to cover all the tears and maybe go about an inch past them.

Anyway its been a few days, sitting in a hot garage and out in the sun during work hours and not a single edge on the tape has pulled away from the vinyl. Great adhesive on this stuff and folds and bends to the vinyl as you sit in the seat. In this same time frame the duct tape was already peeling away and the adhesive getting tacky and moving.

Long story short, Gorilla tape seems to be a great alternative to re-upholstery, if you don't mind diff. color (but at least this stuff is black)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Next time when you ask a question please state your only really interested in the 25 cent fix's instead of a cost effective long-term proper fix.

Have a great day
Old 05-08-2015, 01:33 PM
j01

Next time when you ask a question please state your only really interested in the 25 cent fix's instead of a cost effective long-term proper fix.

Have a great day

I guess I thought since the thread topic was "vinyl repair kit" one would assume I didn't intend to take the seat out or do major upholstery work just yet.

Have a good day as well