Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Going to need someone with a stroke of genius for this one...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 Cylinder
Default Going to need someone with a stroke of genius for this one...

So everyone's had overheating problems before it seems like, but in my days of searching I haven't found anyone with one quite like mine. So everything in my cooling system has been replaced, checked, re-replaced except the overflow bottle and the hose that goes from the radiator to it. My temps are fine on the highway and most of the time, but if i'm sitting or driving very slowly for prolonged periods of time it'll sit at 220 (which seems fine to me) but then will jump to 260 in about half a second's time and beep at me. My only theory left I can think of is it must be pulling air in from somewhere and getting trapped in the block letting it heat up real fast. Can this be caused by the things I haven't replaced? Can't find any sign of leaks elsewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And for the record, I have a flush kit installed with one of the screw off caps at the top, after overheating I can loosen this plastic cap and air will leak out for a good thirty seconds easy before there isn't any left. The overflow bottle will also fill up way past the full mark when it has just overheated to about 5/6ths the way full as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 liter I6

Head gasket?. Thats what it sounds like to me. Just because coolant and oil arent mixing doesnt mean your head gasket isnt leaking it could be leaking into a cylinder and burning off or being pushed out the exhaust.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

just taking a stab but there could be air pockets traped in the system. if you do a flush and dont draw the system into a vacuum its easy to get air pockets traped in the block
Old 08-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Hope not, remanufactured engine put in last September
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 PM

And cdf43, don't the 98 xj's self bleed? It has an open cooling system
Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ytownxj
And cdf43, don't the 98 xj's self bleed? It has an open cooling system

from my experiance all cooling systems can get air pockets even with bleeders.

but of course im not an expert hence me just putting in my two cents
Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Member

there is a kit available that detects combustion gasses in the cooling system to see if your head gasket is blow....its a pretty awesome tool
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 liter I6

Open/Closed they all can get air pockets. start with making sure all of the air has been bled from the coolant

Default Same issue

Hi There, I am brand new to this site. I am hoping to get some help in diagnosing a cooling issue. I noticed your thread and have had the same issue that you are currently having. I see that you have replaced many parts to your cooling system and wondered if you had encountered my more pressing current issue, which then progresses to your current issue.... okay...clarification..currently, my 1998 Jeep Cherokee overheats when i am sitting in traffic with the AC on or off. What i have figured out so far, is that when my car is cold and i first start it up, the electric aux. fan is running when i turn on the AC, but after a few minutes, it stops running. Basically, what happens is that when the car warms up and the aux fan should be on, it is not, regardless of whether i am running the AC or not. Obviously, the fan and the motor work. So, I have now replaced the AC clutch relay, as well as the cooling fan relay and the coolant temp switch but the problem still exists. Tying into your issue...while driving on a 4 wheel drive road in Colorado, my car was warming up as expected since the aux fan is not working, and the temp was up to 220 and all of a sudden it shot up to 260. What is up with that?! Sent me into a panic. My question is this..did you have a similar issue with your aux fan and any guesses on how these problems could be related?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

when the temp rises does the aux fan come on
Old 08-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by AlbuquerqueJeepGal
Hi There, I am brand new to this site. I am hoping to get some help in diagnosing a cooling issue. I noticed your thread and have had the same issue that you are currently having. I see that you have replaced many parts to your cooling system and wondered if you had encountered my more pressing current issue, which then progresses to your current issue.... okay...clarification..currently, my 1998 Jeep Cherokee overheats when i am sitting in traffic with the AC on or off. What i have figured out so far, is that when my car is cold and i first start it up, the electric aux. fan is running when i turn on the AC, but after a few minutes, it stops running. Basically, what happens is that when the car warms up and the aux fan should be on, it is not, regardless of whether i am running the AC or not. Obviously, the fan and the motor work. So, I have now replaced the AC clutch relay, as well as the cooling fan relay and the coolant temp switch but the problem still exists. Tying into your issue...while driving on a 4 wheel drive road in Colorado, my car was warming up as expected since the aux fan is not working, and the temp was up to 220 and all of a sudden it shot up to 260. What is up with that?! Sent me into a panic. My question is this..did you have a similar issue with your aux fan and any guesses on how these problems could be related?
I've had aux fan problems in the past, got tired of trying to get them working how they should so I just wired the fan to a switch. Keep it on whenever I've got the AC or hot weather and slow speeds, really don't think it does all that much anyways since I have the same problems with it on or off. So I ruled that out as a reason with my problems.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by AlbuquerqueJeepGal
when your fan cuts off does the ac stay engaged
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 PM

To freegdr read my last post. Couldn't figure out how to quote multiple people.

Originally Posted by thakmfb
Open/Closed they all can get air pockets. start with making sure all of the air has been bled from the coolant
I've bled it many many times using the upper heater hose where I have my flush kit cap. Highest point in the system and I've had air running out of it many many times. There is no way it is making all that air, it has to come from somewhere. Haven't added/changed coolant in about three weeks and bled it tons of times.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Member

id empty all the coolant, draw it into a vacuum and put fresh coolant in there....use an air lift tool
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

If you get an air pocket in your system its the FASTEST way to burn a hole in your head gasket too. If your system isnt burped correctly, you can do some major damage to the motor.

Quick Reply: Going to need someone with a stroke of genius for this one...