Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gin 'n Jeep, whats the dumbest thing you've ever done to yer xj?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 90
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6
Default Gin 'n Jeep, whats the dumbest thing you've ever done to yer xj?

Title say's it all, recently I installed the drivers side ball joints without removing the rubber boot thingy's, holy crap was that hard (and expensive) make me feel better, what boneheaded things have you done?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Mine wasn't a mechanical thing but I used to wax only the hood of my '88 XJ, that way i could jump and slide on the hood like in an action movie, the first time I did it I shot five feet off the other side flat on my *****. I did it another time before football practice with my cleats on... When I hit the pavement I just totally failed on the landing. And then there was another time when I simply didn't jump high enough to start my slide, and put a huge dent in the side from the impact haha. That was the last time i waxed it.

Last edited by xj guy; 01-14-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: because
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: inline 6

Originally Posted by xj guy
Mine wasn't a mechanical thing but I used to wax only the hood of my '88 XJ, that way i could jump and slide on the hood like in an action movie, the first time I did it I shot five feet off the other side flat on my *****. I did it another time before football practice with my cleats on... When I hit the pavement I just totally failed on the landing. And then there was another time when I simply didn't jump high enough to start my slide, and put a huge dent in the side from the impact haha. That was the last time i waxed it.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

.......i have tried it with my e30.....once lol
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by cj's99xjsport
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

.......i have tried it with my e30.....once lol
I did it good a few times, those were just the funny ones.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by xj guy
I'm going to do it right now, in my boxers and slippers!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

the day I baught my first XJ I needed to replace the left rear shock... Put a wrench on it with no PB blaster or anything... SNAP! the whole shock mount on the bottom broke off... So I used two hose clamps and clamped the shock on and drove her for a good two weeks like that....

the best one is I had this sweet knock in the front end that I took about 2months to figure out... jeep kept knocking when you turned...felt like the axel was going to fall out... turns out the track bar bolt was finger tight... took me 2 minutes and it was like a whole new Jeep... haha
Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

bought tires, 1st thing aftermarket.. Went all downhill from there, for all the parts I HAD to have... dumbest thing I ever did, financially.. lol
Old 01-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87-99

Hmm, probably my welded in rear shock install on my second xj. Of course all four bolts broke off, I didn't feel like drilling, so.....

I welded the bar pins , and yes the bushings melted (yes I was drinking that day too).
Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Took it across a frozen muddy creek last month. Took like 5 tries to get across the creek because of the 2inches of ice breaking and taking away all traction. Anyway, the bad part came when I needed to cross it again coming back down the trail. Totally didnt think about the ruts that I had dug into the muddy bottom with my tires on the first crossing. I nosed the xj into the creek and the the rut was so deep that the drivers rear tire was in the air and the passenger front corner was pretty deep. Somehow, by the grace of god I managed to get enough traction in reverse to slowly back in out. That was definately a holy **** moment. lol
Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Year: 1989

about 6 months ago, i was in the Ocala Florida national forest
and after about 4 hours of trails we came up to this really ugly swamp
that was filled with gators. and like dumb dumbs we BACKED my jeep into
this swamp just to see how far it could go... i dont know what i was thinking
because i have no front tow point.... except the axle of course
anyway. i got it very stuck. had to get out in thigh deep swamp muck
that smells worse then dog crap and wrap a chain around the axle...
the axle was completely submerged and i had to dig and dig and i THOUGHT i got it around the axle
but when my buddy gassed his 87.. i instantly had a pidgin towed jeep.
friggen tie rod

btw its all on tape... just haven't got around to putting it on the computer yet. and that was just the start of a very chaotic trip lol

Last edited by Char92dj8; 01-14-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Year: 1999

I would love to see that video.

The dumbest thing I have done is I bought some real beefy diff covers for my TJs 44s, I installed them with the factor bolts. Unfortunately the flange on the new covers are a lot thicker than stock so the bolts were too short, when i was tightening them down i stripped the threads out of the housing in two spots. Lesson learned.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by DIY4luv
Title say's it all, recently I installed the drivers side ball joints without removing the rubber boot thingy's, holy crap was that hard (and expensive) make me feel better, what boneheaded things have you done?
I don't understand... you couldn't just cut the boot off instead of removing the ball joint again?

When I lifted my old Jeep it was too tall to get it out of the garage. We loaded it with brick, deflated the tires, removed the factory roof rack, and took the garage door off to get it out.

Edit: Nevermind, it just dawned on me what you were talking about. TGIF.

Last edited by alpine.adrenaline; 01-14-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
I don't understand... you couldn't just cut the boot off instead of removing the ball joint again?

When I lifted my old Jeep it was too tall to get it out of the garage. We loaded it with brick, deflated the tires, removed the factory roof rack, and took the garage door off to get it out.

Edit: Nevermind, it just dawned on me what you were talking about. TGIF.
Hilarious, sometimes you get flowin in the shop and forget to look around....
Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Put seafoam in my 96 trail rig.

it had carbon build up, that cleaned it but allowed blowby and now have low compression on 2 cylinders.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991

forgot to tightin waterpump bolts before starting her up. luckily only one shot out like a bullet by my head. never did find it either.

Quick Reply: Gin 'n Jeep, whats the dumbest thing you've ever done to yer xj?