Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

gauge swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default gauge swap questions

Howdy, new guy here... new to Jeeps and the Forum. I recently obtained a 2001 Cherokee XE (two door, 2wd, manual, 4L). I really like the Jeep and have fixed most of the typical used car gremlins except the gauge package - the one with the idiot lights instead of real gauges. I have a real gauge panel and when I replaced the non-gauge one (how-to found on YouTube) with the real gauge panel, nothing worked. Consulted a Jeep guru here and he said the computer needed to be replaced and it was more trouble than it was worth and live with it. My question is are the senders different for the real gauge panel? I can't believe that the wiring would be different, maybe a different computer module/plug-in? Help.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Never done an idiot light cluster to a gauge cluster swap, but i understand with certain years, the clusters are interchangeable.
Is the replacement cluster from a 2WD? What year?

I seen the Utube video i think you're referring to a while back.
Could be wrong but seem to remember that guy saying '97 to '01 clusters are interchangeable.

Is the gauge cluster from the same year as your 2001?
Is the replacement cluster from a 2WD Jeep?
If nothing else, double check the connector pins for corrosion, spread apart, etc.

That 'Jeep guru' could be right though in that a 2WD PCM is a different P/N from a 4x4 PCM.

Maybe CCKen will chime in on this.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

what didn't work on the new cluster? i did this swap (4wd to 4wd tho) and the only thing i noticed was the oil pressure read funny. and the new cluster had a bunch of lights on, so i pulled the corresponding bulbs. been about 90k miles since and no issues. i checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and stopped worrying.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:53 PM

Thanks to both of you for responding. The year of the cluster is within 1998 to 2001, unknown whether it was 4wd or not. None of the little gauges read, the lights flashed but nothing responded when ignition on. All contacts cleaned and the new gauge cluster dropped right in, no problem there. I didn't spend a lot of $$ on the real gauge cluster so I'll try to find one out of a 2wd... that sounds like a plan and may solve the PCM issue. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Whoa!
I didn't say a 2WD cluster would definitely work. Just a maybe, probably, could be.

What you might want to do is research PCM p/n's to see if they are different for your year Jeep on one of those refurbished PCM sites.
Or used clusters on ebay, most sellers will indicate what year and type Jeep they'll fit.
Changing the PCM from a 2WD to a 4WD could be tricky and might not even work.

Someone here has got to know the answer to all this but they ain't typing....yet!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by s346k
what didn't work on the new cluster? i did this swap (4wd to 4wd tho) and the only thing i noticed was the oil pressure read funny. and the new cluster had a bunch of lights on, so i pulled the corresponding bulbs. been about 90k miles since and no issues. i checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and stopped worrying.
What year Cherokee?
Found that video.
According to the guy in this Utube video, earlier than 1997 XJs might require an oil psi sender replacement with one compatible with the gauge cluster.

Edit: To the OPer, after re-watching the video, unless my eyes are deceiving me i don't see a Tcase shifter on the center console.
The Jeep in the video looks to me like a 2WD!

Last edited by moparado; 07-05-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:49 AM

Wow, sharp eyes. I didn't see that when I first viewed it. Yup, looks just like mine. Ok, my Jeep is a 2001. The only difference is mine's a manual, wonder if that has anything to do with it, probably not. Makes me also think that I may have some wiring glitches or a bad PCM. The real gauge panel I got (eBay) was working at the time of removal I'm told. Think I'll check out a PCM swap. Hope you had a good 4th.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0

mine is a 97, donor cluster was from an 01.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by shadow43
Wow, sharp eyes. I didn't see that when I first viewed it. Yup, looks just like mine. Ok, my Jeep is a 2001. The only difference is mine's a manual, wonder if that has anything to do with it, probably not. Makes me also think that I may have some wiring glitches or a bad PCM. The real gauge panel I got (eBay) was working at the time of removal I'm told. Think I'll check out a PCM swap. Hope you had a good 4th.
Put the old cluster back in. If the gauges work, i dont see how the PCM would be at fault with the new cluster. Its got to be something with the new cluster that isnt registering for whatever reason. I would think, but i could be wrong about the PCM thing. Start simple and check for blown fuses in the JB. I think the cluster uses 6, 12, and 16? Thats where i would start before messing with a new PCM. next i would check the sockets behind the cluster, and the pins for the cluster. What about bulbs? Never messed with them either, but maybe blurned out interrupting the circuit? No idea. Just throwing ideas out there.

Just found this. Post #3. Its as close i got concerning the PCM.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...7/#post4628101

Last edited by fb97xj1; 07-05-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Thanks guys, good info, and thanks for the old post. I'm going to take another crack at installing the "real" cluster, checking everything. Reason? Visited the dealer (not too amazed at his lack of experience... "duh, never heard of anyone doin' that") and was told that there was only one PCM for the Cherokee and they aren't available anymore. I checked back with my mechanic and he said no gauges worked even after doing the sweep/holding the reset button down so I'll show him the YouTube video and let him read the posts. And I'll look for a PCM on-line/junk yard... just in case.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by shadow43
I once bought an OEM radio off ebay that the seller also said worked.
When i got it installed, it was DOA. Just say'n.

Next time you install the gauge cluster try the cluster test.
Push the trip button, keep it pressed then turn the ignition to on without starting the engine.

But first try this.
I'm leaning more and more that 2WD is not the problem but the PCM might be doing something tricky in your case.
That video sorta proved that the original PCM and gauge cluster worked in a 2WD XJ.

Its a long shot, but it could be the PCM stores the mileage and will prevent a cluster replacement with lower mileage.
Just for kicks, try re-setting the PCM by removing both the + and the - battery cable clamps and firmly touching them together far away from the battery posts for a good 10 minutes or so.

By the way, anyone know if any 2WD XJs even came from the factory equipped with a real gauge cluster?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:12 AM

Cluster mileage wasn't given on replacement cluster so that's a real good point. I'm going to take my laptop to my mechanic and have him read the thread, might be something he missed. If the reinstall still doesn't work, I'll try another cluster ('preciate your experience w/eBay). I also appreciate the how-to PCM reset... my guy is real good w/electronics, he'll appreciate it.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

did you change the sensors? from the light ones to gauge.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 PM

No, I was told about the possible difference in senders but nothing is mentioned in the YouTube video above. I'm going to install again, trying the suggestions from moparado first regarding the PCM. I looked on RockAuto and found only one dual sender, temp I think it was. Do you have a source for the other senders?
Old 07-12-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

advance auto didn't show sensors for the light dash clusters. all for gauges. I was thinking jeep stopped making them with idiot lights after 97 or so.