Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is this gas mileage normal

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Is this gas mileage normal

Hello! I have a 99 cherokee and I filled this up to full about 3 days ago with going back and forth to work which is about 6 miles to and back and then I took a small ride to find a jeep trail here which was about 40 miles away so currently my Jeep blew through all this gas in 60 miles from fill up. Also I noticed it Rev hangs at times as well. This was mentioned before in a different post but I never found the cause of it. From the trip it did pretty well as it was at a half a tank yesterday and this was the outcome from it today. But still 60 miles and that much gas to me is terrible.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:16 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

The sending units on these things aren't the best...

What I would do, is grab a gas jug of your choosing. Fill it up with enough gas to get you to a service station. Fill your tank as well. Drive. Until you run out. Use your container to get you to the station to fill back up. Note mileage.

Verify mileage is what I'm getting at. See where a full tank takes you first. If it looks bad, then you can start chasing down what exactly the problem might be.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

^^^ yep, what he said.... you have to fill it up, drive it, then fill it up again and do the math. You can't go by the gauge.....personally I think driving it until it runs out is going to the extreme, but then again my XJ can't do what's in Roninofako's signature.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L6

I don't see the point in running your tank all the way out. Fill it up at the pump, record your odometer, run it until the gauge shows nearly empty, then fill it up again at the same pump, and calculate your mileage from miles driven/gallons filled. Do this three times for a good average.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone289
I don't see the point in running your tank all the way out. Fill it up at the pump, record your odometer, run it until the gauge shows nearly empty, then fill it up again at the same pump, and calculate your mileage from miles driven/gallons filled. Do this three times for a good average.
The point is then you can know for sure just how much your tank holds. From fill to empty. It also serves to know how much your reserve is, if you take note when the light comes on. That way you have ALL your data, from full to empty, and reserve to empty.

Kinda good to know how many miles your reserve will get you, as every Jeep will differ, we all know these gauges aren't dead nuts accurate. They give a decent ball park figure, but definitely not 100%. That's all.

And, you're right on the averages...yes running to empty is extreme, but you really only need to do it once for a reserve estimate, then run normally a couple more times, and average it out.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 09-25-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Good points. I just always figure the tank holds at least what the owner's manual states, since that doesn't include the filler neck. That's always worked for me, and since I know the average MPG and consider driving conditions, I don't really need an accurate gauge as long as I track miles.

Last edited by Tbone289; 09-25-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone289
Good points. I just always figure the tank holds at least what the owner's manual states, since that doesn't include the filler neck. That's always worked for me, and since I know the average MPG and consider driving conditions, I don't really need an accurate gauge as long as I track miles.
Well, for instance my tank is listed as being around 20 gallons. I have done this, and when I ran completely out, I could only get 17.5 gallons back in, after putting in a gallon, then driving to a station. So, let's say 16-17. Right there is a difference of 3-4 gallons you're NOT getting, even though "factory specs" say 20.

There is a mod out there to get a tad more in the tank, I've never done it. I don't run out of gas. I usually stop and fill once I hit a quarter tank.

But the other thing here, is he's unsure of what he's getting. Only reason I suggested what I did...baseline numbers. Get them first and work from there. If things look wonky right off the bat, then you know there's bigger issues.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

eh its not accurate but its something lol whenever i start it back up after a bit of sitting it goes down a line than what it was before
Old 09-25-2017, 07:50 PM

Hot and cold, expansion and contraction.

Gets hotter? Expansion. Cooler? Contraction. There's all kinds of forces at play here. Add that to the not-so accurate readings we get from our gauges...plus the driving conditions and style, blahblahblah...this is why we average over several fill ups. If you're looking for pinpoint accurate results, outside a laboratory environment, you're never gonna get it, haha...

You can narrow it down to liveable numbers. Just gotta do the work. Not that hard, just do what you normally do, and record results, then compare.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
Well, for instance my tank is listed as being around 20 gallons. I have done this, and when I ran completely out, I could only get 17.5 gallons back in, after putting in a gallon, then driving to a station. So, let's say 16-17. Right there is a difference of 3-4 gallons you're NOT getting, even though "factory specs" say 20.

Interesting... This would be a first for me. Every vehicle I've owned before allowed more than the factory "claim". I'll have to take your advice and run it all the way out!

I've seen the mod you mention as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

As others have said, the only way to know is to calculate (miles driven since full divided by gallons to bring back to full). Knowing your MPG will quickly give you an idea if the problem is gauge accuracy or mechanical issue.

Coincidentally I looked down at my dash when I stopped last night and saw that I was also at 60 miles since full.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

well i topped out at 184.7 miles before it sputtered and stopped.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And depends where you live if they are running the winter mix for gas already that stuff is worse on mpg then the summer blend is.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

i live in florida
Old 10-13-2017, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EEVEE
well i topped out at 184.7 miles before it sputtered and stopped.
You still need to calculate your fuel mileage before we really know what that means. At this point, it could be that your fuel tank isn't accepting full volume, or your fuel mileage is poor.

Are you running stock size tires with stock speedometer gearing?