Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Tank swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Fuel Tank swap

Can I swap a 97-01 fuel tank (including the sending unit and fuel pump) into a 1996 cherokee. I know the opening for the sending unit is on the top of the newer ones while the old ones are on the side and I know the fuel pumps are slightly different but if everything hooks up right, will it work with no issue? Also as a bonus question, will the fuel float send the right info to my fuel gauge?

I doubt many people have done this... thanks in advance if you know.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

I'm pretty sure the wires are different. If you can figure out witch wires are what you could swap to a newer electric plug and I would think it would work without an issue. That would give you a plastic tank and one less worry but the newer pumps are much more $ then the old ones. If you could put an older sending unit in the newer tank that to me would be the best. With the less expensive pump and in line filter and a plastic tank. But you would have to fab up a mounting plate. I think it could be dune but would be kind of a pain. So is it worth it to you.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

pump pressures the same?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by brutalxj
I'm pretty sure the wires are different. If you can figure out witch wires are what you could swap to a newer electric plug and I would think it would work without an issue. That would give you a plastic tank and one less worry but the newer pumps are much more $ then the old ones. If you could put an older sending unit in the newer tank that to me would be the best. With the less expensive pump and in line filter and a plastic tank. But you would have to fab up a mounting plate. I think it could be dune but would be kind of a pain. So is it worth it to you.
Thanks for the input. I'll have to check on the wires. I'm sure that even if the plug is different I could get that to work. The fuel filter should be the same for both generations right?

Originally Posted by freegdr
pump pressures the same?
How would I find this out?

Also anyone know anything about how the fuel gauge working with the new sending unit
Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Its the same motor so I would say same pressure. Really I would have never second guessed it. But I could be wrong although I doubt it highly. And the filter dose the same thing but is in two spots. 97+ is in the tank 91-96 is on the inside of the frame rail. Like my 95 and I like that better cause I can change it without dropping the tank. I just had to do that in my 99 and I'm sure the filter is plugged. I just dropped in a diff tank. But now don't think I can find a new filter. 95 was way better in that regard.