Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuel sending unit rubber foot fell in!

Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default fuel sending unit rubber foot fell in!

Hey all,
was pulling my sending unit and the rubber foot fell in. I can't reach it without dropping the tank. What are the odds I could run the jeep successfully without the rubber foot? This is not my offroading xj.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Time to go fishing.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

What year?

That little snubber on the bottom?

If it's 95 and earlier, you can reach into the tank.

FWIW, I've found a fair number of those things in tanks before.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Likely I have have been without one for a very long time. My gauge works to down below 1/2, then sticks on 1/4 until I go below that. Then, a while after filling up it will go to full. It's unlikely yours will behave the same...all I've got. There is a picture of it in my signature Btw.. Maybe a cranker could reach in there and get it out for you ?

Below is the inside of the tank. The black ring you see is the end of the cone that belongs on the end of the fuel return line on the pump assembly. That cone on the metal line holds the bottom of the whole deal in place. That should be fished out, and installed on the metal fuel return line on the assembly. Then you seat the cone into the receptacle in the tank when installing it. The fuel return and pickup are located in a tray inside the tank, so return fuel is available to be picked up at the pump inlet, even when the tank is low or at an angle. This "tray" has a downside now with alcohol in the fuel. Add just a little water, the ethanol separates from the fuel, it's heavier, and will be on the bottom. Without sloshing around, you could be recirculating a mess of alcohol and water. Might run ****ie, might not.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-11-2017 at 06:11 PM.