Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Pump Only Works Sometimes

Old 02-12-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6cyl
Default Fuel Pump Only Works Sometimes

Hi, my 96 cherokee will start up then stall out after 5 or ten seconds. when i go to start it back up sometimes it starts but always stalls out right away. other times the fuel pump wont even turn on. what could this be?
Old 02-12-2017, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

How have you verified that the fuel pump isn't energizing?

If it truly isn't, the first thing to try is to swap the fuel pump relay with another non-critical relay. These relays are located in the Power Distribution Center, the black box under the hood.

The relays are all the same part number, so swapping them is not a problem.

Last edited by tjwalker; 02-12-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Does your 96 have a factory alarm system?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:57 AM

I can hear when the fuel pump turns on. Sometimes it turns on and the jeep will start then stall out after about ten seconds. Other times the fuel pump doesnt even turn on and the jeep will not even start. There is no factory alarm system but there appears to be an aftermarket alarm system that no longer works but has wiring remnants still there.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 AM

the other night it took forever to start. The fuel pump wasnt working. After switching some relays around it did kick on. then i went and got some gas and left it running because i was afraid it wouldnt start again if i shut it off. Well, when the girl started pumping gas into my jeep it stalled out and then it kept stalling out and playing games for about a half hour or so. eventually it stopped playing games and i was able to go about my business with no problems for the rest of the nite. the next day it started right up and i thought it was going to be a good day. i made it maybe 3 miles down the road and it stalled out at a red light. fortunately it started back up and i was able to get it into a parking lot. i swapped relays around and added gas to it and eventually it started and i didnt have any problemes for the rest of the day or night and i drove quite a bit. is there anybody who know's what this could be? im honestly quite stumped.

Thanks, Jack
Old 02-18-2017, 08:11 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Relli8
the other night it took forever to start. The fuel pump wasnt working. After switching some relays around it did kick on. then i went and got some gas and left it running because i was afraid it wouldnt start again if i shut it off. Well, when the girl started pumping gas into my jeep it stalled out and then it kept stalling out and playing games for about a half hour or so. eventually it stopped playing games and i was able to go about my business with no problems for the rest of the nite. the next day it started right up and i thought it was going to be a good day. i made it maybe 3 miles down the road and it stalled out at a red light. fortunately it started back up and i was able to get it into a parking lot. i swapped relays around and added gas to it and eventually it started and i didnt have any problemes for the rest of the day or night and i drove quite a bit. is there anybody who know's what this could be? im honestly quite stumped.

Thanks, Jack
Try this:

Rap the bottom of the tank with a 2 by 4 next time it happens.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 AM

I had problems with the connector in the wiring harness to the fuel pump ( above the rear axle). Might want to check and clean those connections.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by mab057
I had problems with the connector in the wiring harness to the fuel pump ( above the rear axle). Might want to check and clean those connections.
Yep. Good idea.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:20 AM