Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Pump Install Problems on 2000 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel Pump Install Problems on 2000 XJ

Last Friday the fuel pump died in my 2000 XJ. (Thought it was the crank sensor. Replaced it, but eventually figured out it was the fuel pump.)

I bought a new Bosch fuel pump at NAPA, but I didn't get the entire assembly; just the pump itself. I was a bit confused during the install because the new pump had a little sock attached to it and the original pump attached to the bottom of the assembly/module which had a sock on the bottom of that. I installed the new pump into the module, but now it won't pump fuel unless the tank is at least 1/2 full. Apparently, the new pump isn't sitting low enough, or something.

Can anyone tell me how to correctly install a new Bosch fuel pump into the original fuel pump module? Obviously, I'm going to have to drop the tank again, but I want to be sure to do it right this time. Other than the sock, the new pump looks exactly like the factory pump. I suppose I could order an entirely new Bosch fuel pump module, but at this point, I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

OK, so maybe I'm in new territory here? In case it helps, the pump I have looks like this:

Amazon Amazon

One of the reviewers on that Amazon page says the filter is wrong for an XJ, but I can't figure out how I would make it work with another filter.

Last edited by Klutch; 08-01-2017 at 04:30 PM.