Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Pump / Fuse issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel Pump / Fuse issue

Okay, so im a new jeep xj owner. I bought the car off my uncle because he got fed up with it dying in the road over and over again. He (who is not mechanically inclined) said that the mechanic gave him a ton of fuses to keep replacing the one that blew. This fuse belonged to the fuel pump. Ive had the car sitting in my driveway about 2 months now. (can't drive it until I get the title from him) I run the car almost everyday and it has yet to die out on me. The first thing I did was check the fuse box first with a multimeter. With the pump hooked up it doesn't give me a reading of 0.00 which Im hoping to look for correct? ( I have NO Clue how to read a multimeter so bare with me ) Instead I get a reading of around 0.96 Mega-ohms. Now to be honest I know thats resistance but besides that I know nothing else.

So i came to the assumption that maybe its a bad ground on the fuel pump. So i went to my local scrap yard and picked up a pump from a 98 cherokee. With this pump plugged in I get that 0.96 reading again. I should note that with both fuel pumps unplugged I do get a 0.00 reading which is why I believe it to be something occurring on the pump itself

I know its not a lot of information to run off of but I really want to get this car road worthy so once the title is in my hand I can run and get it inspected and back on the road. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Hawley12
Okay, so im a new jeep xj owner. I bought the car off my uncle because he got fed up with it dying in the road over and over again. He (who is not mechanically inclined) said that the mechanic gave him a ton of fuses to keep replacing the one that blew. This fuse belonged to the fuel pump. Ive had the car sitting in my driveway about 2 months now. (can't drive it until I get the title from him) I run the car almost everyday and it has yet to die out on me. The first thing I did was check the fuse box first with a multimeter. With the pump hooked up it doesn't give me a reading of 0.00 which Im hoping to look for correct? ( I have NO Clue how to read a multimeter so bare with me ) Instead I get a reading of around 0.96 Mega-ohms. Now to be honest I know thats resistance but besides that I know nothing else.

So i came to the assumption that maybe its a bad ground on the fuel pump. So i went to my local scrap yard and picked up a pump from a 98 cherokee. With this pump plugged in I get that 0.96 reading again. I should note that with both fuel pumps unplugged I do get a 0.00 reading which is why I believe it to be something occurring on the pump itself

I know its not a lot of information to run off of but I really want to get this car road worthy so once the title is in my hand I can run and get it inspected and back on the road. Thanks for the help.

1st: What year is this Jeep?

2nd: It is difficult to figure out what you are doing. That is, how you are measuring resistance (?), and why you are doing this measurement.

If the fuel pump fuse keeps blowing there's a short to ground in the power circuit to the pump. The ground for the pump is out of the picture right now. If the FP fuse in the PDC does not blow with the Jeep sitting in the driveway, and does when it is underway, then I would suspect a bare wire shorting to ground somewhere.

The task at hand is to visually inspect the wiring going to the fuel pump for chafing to bare wire(s) as far as you can see from the fuel pump connector going forward - and around the fuel tank. Don't over look anything or it may bite you on the ****.

The fuel pump connector (near the fuel tank) may be corroded, causing the short. Decouple that connector and inspect it for corrosion/water intrusion.

3rd: It's not a 'car', it's a Jeep. :-)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CCKen
1st: What year is this Jeep?

2nd: It is difficult to figure out what you are doing. That is, how you are measuring resistance (?), and why you are doing this measurement.

If the fuel pump fuse keeps blowing there's a short to ground in the power circuit to the pump. The ground for the pump is out of the picture right now. If the FP fuse in the PDC does not blow with the Jeep sitting in the driveway, and does when it is underway, then I would suspect a bare wire shorting to ground somewhere.

The task at hand is to visually inspect the wiring going to the fuel pump for chafing to bare wire(s) as far as you can see from the fuel pump connector going forward - and around the fuel tank. Don't over look anything or it may bite you on the ****.

The fuel pump connector (near the fuel tank) may be corroded, causing the short. Decouple that connector and inspect it for corrosion/water intrusion.

3rd: It's not a 'car', it's a Jeep. :-)
Its a 1999 classic. Heres what I learned literally minutes after posting this. Okay before screwing with the pumps this morning, I had a check engine light and like i said That 0.96 reading which i still don't get why or how i should be doing it. When i first pulled the plug near the tank about 10 years worth of dirt came flying out the plug. I kid you not, After giving up and plugging back the old fuel pump in I get a 0.00 reading and no CEL. I did notice that the plug isn't actually "Hung" from anywhere it just sits there and dangles. I didn't notice any rubbed off wires or any exposures but Im possibly wondering if maybe the way it sat for however long just exposed it to more dirt and debris than where it should have actually been mounted. If thats the case Ill grab a trusty zip tie and solve this problem.

My next question is where can I post an "Introduction"? Somewhere I could post pics of how it sits and basically tell what I want to fix and Mod and get some advice from there. Thanks for helping me with this car......I mean JEEP!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Hawley12
Its a 1999 classic. Heres what I learned literally minutes after posting this. Okay before screwing with the pumps this morning, I had a check engine light and like i said That 0.96 reading which i still don't get why or how i should be doing it. When i first pulled the plug near the tank about 10 years worth of dirt came flying out the plug. I kid you not, After giving up and plugging back the old fuel pump in I get a 0.00 reading and no CEL. I did notice that the plug isn't actually "Hung" from anywhere it just sits there and dangles. I didn't notice any rubbed off wires or any exposures but Im possibly wondering if maybe the way it sat for however long just exposed it to more dirt and debris than where it should have actually been mounted. If thats the case Ill grab a trusty zip tie and solve this problem.

My next question is where can I post an "Introduction"? Somewhere I could post pics of how it sits and basically tell what I want to fix and Mod and get some advice from there. Thanks for helping me with this car......I mean JEEP!

A filthy fuel pump electrical connector will cause issues. Best thing to do is go to an auto parts store and buy a spray can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and spray out both ends of the connector(s). Secure with zip ties (like mine).