Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuel problems won't start need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default fuel problems won't start need help

alright so for the last couple of days I've been having major issues with my jeep. Drove it to a buddy's house in biloxi, ms from my home in memphis, tn. Drove fine on the way down no issues of any kind. Next day We decided to go ride around and it wouldn't crank. I couldn't hear the fuel pump running and the gas gauge read zero even though it was full so I assumed it had a bad fuel pump. Took the tank down and test tested the fuel pump with a 12v source and it ran fine. At least it seemed to. Then i tested the wires running to the back and I was getting one wire with 12v's, 2 ground wires and one wire that seemed to be dead. So I cracked open the fuse box under the hood and checked the relay. It wasn't working. no ground going to the relay. So I spliced a ground wire into the rely and now the pump runs, but the jeep still won't crank. Seems like it may not be getting enough pressure up to the fuel rail, I took the tester nipple off and pressed in the valve and it just kinda leaked out instead of spraying. I'm stuck here. Don't know what to check what to change out or where to begin now. Could it be the auto shut down relay causing problems? Maybe a bad pcu? Some other ground not connected?

Also for the last few months the jeep has always been slow to start. Ran fine once cranked. But i would have to cycle the key a couple times to build fuel pressure for it to crank. I searched on here and heard it was a common problem and that It could be fixed with a 1 way valve in the gas line I just had not gotten around to it.

Sorry so long, I just really need some help here guys.

so here's what I have right now
gas gauge not working
fuel pump wasn't working due to no ground at relay. (couldn't find where ground was broken so I spliced in a new one)
with a ground spliced into the fuse box the fuel pump runs, but not pushing enough pressure for the jeep to start (i'm assuming this is the reason, seems to be very low pressure) Gauge still dosen't work even with splice in fuse

All help is great, even if your not sure just post up ideas for me to check. Kinda stuck here until I get this fixed so I'm open to trying anything.
Thanks as always
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not getting enough fuel pressure then it could be your fuel filter plugged. Check that 1st
Old 10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

just an update. I replaced the cps today and now the jeeps cranks but and starts to run but shortly after dies. Seems like it is not getting enough fuel now. If I short out the fuel pump and let it run for about 10 seconds the jeep fires right up but then it seems to die due to not getting enough gas fast enough. Maybe the pump isn't pushing enough gas? or is there a pressure regulator I should check?

also I can't find a fuel filter inline on the jeep. am I missing it somewhere?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by dar83
just an update. I replaced the cps today and now the jeeps cranks but and starts to run but shortly after dies. Seems like it is not getting enough fuel now. If I short out the fuel pump and let it run for about 10 seconds the jeep fires right up but then it seems to die due to not getting enough gas fast enough. Maybe the pump isn't pushing enough gas? or is there a pressure regulator I should check?

also I can't find a fuel filter inline on the jeep. am I missing it somewhere?
Noobie, 1st post, be gentle...I was looking for a fuel pressure regulator thread when I came across your problem...I recently bought a 95 2 Dr and was told by the previous owner that it needed a fuel pressure regulator. It won't start on the first try, I have to turn the key, let the pump run for a few seconds, then turn it off, then hit it again and it starts right up. I went by my local Jeep dealer and mentioned what my Jeep was doing and he agreed that it sounded like a fuel pressure regulator. That could be your issue too...I haven't bought one yet (I did get a Rusty's 3 inch lift though, first things first), but they carry them at Advanced, Auto Zone, etc...Anyone have any more input on fuel pressure regulators?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l I6

First off both of you need to go to an autoparts store(autozone, checker, napa or something) and get yourself a haynes or chilton's repair manual, secondly the fuel filter is located inside the fuel tank on the fuel pump in 1997 and later models and its an inline filter for earlier models either right next to the tank or carburetor mounted, and the fuel pressure regulator should be connected to the fuel rail which is on the intake manifold and should have a vac line on it, you can get both of those items at a local autoparts store, for the guy with the fuel pump problem i really dont know what you could do if changing the filter out doesnt do any good but a repair manual would probably help you out a lot
Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Year: 1995

Oh, I have the manuals, we have 3 Cherokees in the family now and have worn out 3 others, so I use them all the time...I was just wondering if anyone's had a similar issue before I spent money on a new regulator...I'll jut go ahead and get one this weekend...
Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 v6

im haveing the same problem with mine.i have put in a new pump back in july and just change filter and regulater and still wont run but a sec.i just pull out the fuel pump and it runs fine but im going to try another pump cause i have changed everything else.