Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Pressure Issues - 91 Cherokee Sport 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6 banger
Question Fuel Pressure Issues - 91 Cherokee Sport 4.0L

Hi, I'm new here. I did a search, couldn't find something specific to at least one question of mine.

I've got a 91 XJ Sport with most everything stock, and about a month ago, damn thing just died on me at a stop light. No funky idle or shake, just dead. I got it rolled to a safe spot and tried the first things that came to my head. My instinct was fuel or air issues, but did basic things like replace the auto shutdown relay, and air filter which was a little old at this point. I swapped what I thought was a good relay into the fuel pump relay spot as well. All no luck.

I got it towed to a do it yourself shop, and bought a new fuel pump and filter, and installed those. No luck. I get almost no pressure at the rail for fuel. That leaves me at electricity, or a pinched/clogged fuel line. Now, I'm definitely going to get a fresh Fuel Pump relay, but a few had mentioned to change the fuse too for the pump. That makes sense. But I can't for the life of me find any mention that my jeep has a fuse for the pump. I have the case under the hood with the relays that make no mention of a fuel pump fuse, only relay. And the fuse panel below the driver side dash. I don't have the original owners manual, which would solve me asking the question, but nothing I see online says that panel has something for my sending unit.

It cranks, it just doesn't fire up. I haven't tossed any starting fluid in it to see if it will go for a sec, but I suspect that it will.

I'm looking for ideas. At this point, with the fuel pump replaced, I feel it's gotta be something easy, but I'm ready to be shocked and disappointed.

I know I'll need to probably test the electricity and make sure the fuel pump is getting the proper (12V?) but can anyone tell me about a fuse location, if such exists?