Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Fuel Leak?

1995 Country. Smell raw fuel at highway speeds. No smell driving around town or idling. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Doug Pickerill; 10-17-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Omitted year.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

What year Cherokee are you driving. I saw SJ in your profile, so that would be full size. If your are getting a fuel smell at highway speeds on an SJ I would look at the carb. You may be running rich. I would also look at the timing and the fuel pump as well. Does it have any smell wile revving in park? I would also check that the secondaries on the carb are not stuck too.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

1995 Country
Old 10-18-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

ok with fuel injection a fuel smell could be a leak or running rich. I would look at signs of leaking around the injectors and fuel pressure regulator. since you are only smelling fuel when on the highway your best bet is to check the fuel pressure on the rail. Also check the fuel line from the pump and the return line as well. Are there any codes present? You should also check the MAP sensor tube from the intake up to the MAP sensor on the firewall. On a 95 you have 2 coolant sensors. if the one on the thermostat housing is reading too low temp then the computer would add extra fuel to warm up the engine. Biggest thing is look for leaking first you don't want to end a fireball on the highway.