Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Fuel issue

Hello, I recent got a '96 Cherokee with a factory 5 speed, and two door. Don't know much about Jeep but I'm a decent general problem solver/home mechanic.
when it starts, it revs high then idles down, but there isn't a accelerater pedal spring. So when I go.to give it gas it bogs and acts as if it has bad or dirty fuel or it's getting flooded. Then after pumping the gas pedal and mashing and trying to work it out, it seems as it burns or cleans itself out then runs like a champ. Any ideas on how to eliminate bogging or crappy fuel?
New filter? Empty tank and clean? New pump?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Could be a dirty or sticking IAC or throttle body. Or both. I use carb cleaner and a brush. Dont operate the IAC by hand when cleaning it as you can damage it permanently. Brush only.

Bogging could be fuel, ignition, or even the MAP sensor. When was its last tuneup?

Last edited by fb97xj1; 02-15-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Rent yourself a fuel pressure gauge from your Auto parts store. Should only cost you a deposit which you'll get back once the tool is returned

​​​​​​Attarch the fuel pressure gauge to the shrader valve located on the fuel rail. Turn the key to on position and read the pressure. Start the Jeep and read the pressure as you give it gas. Look up the correct pressure specs for your specific year XJ. Thats Thats where I would star
Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

If you want to empty the tank, then use a jumper wire on the appropriate contact points below the fuel pump's relay with the sending fuel line in a sufficiently large container or prepared to stop the flow by pulling the jumper wire quickly. Yellowed fuel is old and varnishing. Clear fuel is good. A fresh tank is a good time to use some fuel injection cleaner additive as well.

Anytime that you are having performance issues is a good time to replace maintenance items such as the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, distribution's rotor and cap, Each of these can affect combustion negatively when needing to be replaced.

I encourage you to diagnose as well, but worst case scenario of a tune-up is having a tune-up. A cold engine doesn't perform as well as an hot engine.