Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 2.8L V6 matching #'s CHEVY
Default Fuel issue

My 86 2.8L Wagoneer Limited is starving for fuel. For example, I noticed intermit times starting up in a angled parking lot or going down a turnpike off ramp. The engine cuts out and on restart sounds like its not getting enough fuel. Could it be a clogged jet, float bowl in the carb or fuel pump?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Don't even get me started with the issues I've has with carburetors and this new "fuel". In a clear jug it separates, looks just like there is 1/4, 1/3 water. BUT!if you separate out the "Water", you will find it burns! Some engines just won't run. The little Honda generator won't. Others sporadically. The old Onan generator and the Case 310 track loader will run, but like **** with allot of choke. I guess sloshing around in a tank, that usually get's burnt in hours or in a week, along with injection and computer controls it usually, mostly works. If it's dark and wet and raining and your generator will just almost but not quite start, and it's perfectly FINE, that makes me "Grumpy!"

If you can pull your fuel line and rout it into a container, (I use clear vinyl tube from the hardware store), then crank it you can check both your flow and get a look at what it is. Also (just like water), any contaminants like rust and other crud will be in it. (when siphoned from the tank).

Short of pulling the top off the carb, sometimes you can rev it good, then seal off the intake on the carb good and hope the vacuum sucks that $5 a gal contamination through into your engine.

I mean..besides the filter there might be an issue with the fuel.