Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front and rear lockers question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default front and rear lockers question

I have an 87 xj that i use as a semi daily driver, im planning on using it to plow my driveway. Its a long steep driveway and we get at least 60 inches of snow per year. Due to the fact that sometimes we get over a foot of snow at a time i was thinking that i could need front or rear lockers or both to aid in traction. Also will this effect the daily drive ability of the jeep and do they cause problems on wet roads like i have heard?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

for this situation i would look into a unit that can be run when needed and turned off when not like an arb or ox locker
Old 05-27-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0 I6

idk about the wet roads but yes it will help plowing.. i dont think locking your diffs then driving on wet roads is a good idea
Old 05-27-2009, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I like lockers, but not automatic lockers. If you are using your rig for an all around daily driver and work horse, I would suggest a selectable locker such as an ARB, ECTED or OX. But before you do, if you have a Dana 35 rear end don't do it before you upgrade to A Dana 44 or a Chrysler 8.25 with the larger axles. A locker will tear a D35 rear end up. They just won't handle the extra torque on the axles or housing. Your D30 will handle a locker if your tire size is below 33". If you are running a larger tire, then you will need to upgrade axles. The ARB is available with a larger spline count for aftermarket heavy duty axles.

Automatic lockers are not a good thing if you're driving in snow on a highway rig. All the torque goes to the inside wheel and you will find yourself spinning out and in the ditch. There are probably people on this forum that feel that this is acceptable and that is OK, but I do not. I like to be safe on snow and ice. That is why I am putting in selectable lockers even though they cost more.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 PM

okay makes sense, I will probably will take a look at the ox locker should i use the same for front and rear? Also i have a dana 44 so im not worried that much about the rear end and as far as tires i would be using stock size or smaller snow tires actually. any other suggestions?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

For your application, if price is no object, I would go with putting an Auburn Gear ECTED electro-magnetic locker in your rear D44. It's a limited slip all the time and a full locker at the flip of a switch. I'm telling you right now these things are great BUT SPENDY!!

Now, if you're on a budget like myself. The best price on a locker you will find period, is the Aussie "lunch box" style locker. It locks and unlocks automatically and I speak from personal experience when I say these things have perfectly fine road manners. As long as you're not hot ******* your rig on wet and icey roads, you'll never know it's there other than a very subtle clicking only when turning a corner....this is the sound your auto locker makes when it unlocks...as soon as your rig goes straight again it locks back up and stops clicking. This locker is designed to fit right inside your OEM differential in place of your stock spider and side gears. If you don't drive like an idiot on wet, icey or snowy roads, WHICH YOU SHOULD NEVER DO, this thing will give you years of dependable service at an awesome price and outlast the axle and the Jeep. These things can be found at aussielocker.com for $239 apiece. I have Aussies front and rear in my Daily Driven XJ and I've driven it in every kind of inclimate weather you can imagine here in Washington state. My rig has never spun out while on wet, icey or snowey roads and it is absolutely unstoppable offroad.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by mikeg216
okay makes sense, I will probably will take a look at the ox locker should i use the same for front and rear? Also i have a dana 44 so im not worried that much about the rear end and as far as tires i would be using stock size or smaller snow tires actually. any other suggestions?
The only issue with the OX is the long cable you have to route to the back. If that doesn't bother you, you get a heavy duty diff cover in the bargain
Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
The only issue with the OX is the long cable you have to route to the back. If that doesn't bother you, you get a heavy duty diff cover in the bargain
yeah the ox units are like super duty units. this is what i am going to get for the front when i do the gears and lockers
Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I'd go with rear. When you lock the front it wont steer the direction you want it to.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by itzdan420
I'd go with rear. When you lock the front it wont steer the direction you want it to.
i am going Detroit in the rear and ox in front so i can steer