Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:05 PM
DDD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default front end noise

I just purchased an all stock 2000 XJ, 4x4, 6cyl. 4 door. 97000 miles, One owner. I notice a noise from what seems to be the front end. I replaced both hub assemblies, rotors, calipers and pads. Noise is still there. It gets louder with speed but not very loud. A whirring sound. Tires are new and are street style. Firestone Destination. U joints seem solid, but there is sound from the Dif when I was spinning the axle without the tires on, but seems like there should be some sound from there being that there are gears meshing and all.

Is it likely Dif bearings? If so, what's it take to replace them? I have a local mechanic looking at it on Monday, but was trying to get an understanding of what I might be in for. Thank you, Darryl
Old 11-09-2018, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by DDD
I just purchased an all stock 2000 XJ, 4x4, 6cyl. 4 door. 97000 miles, One owner. I notice a noise from what seems to be the front end. I replaced both hub assemblies, rotors, calipers and pads. Noise is still there. It gets louder with speed but not very loud. A whirring sound. Tires are new and are street style. Firestone Destination. U joints seem solid, but there is sound from the Dif when I was spinning the axle without the tires on, but seems like there should be some sound from there being that there are gears meshing and all.

Is it likely Dif bearings? If so, what's it take to replace them? I have a local mechanic looking at it on Monday, but was trying to get an understanding of what I might be in for. Thank you, Darryl
Where abouts the diff is the noise? There are bearings on the carrier and for the pinion (where the driveshaft yoke is). However you could have bad u-joints even if they appear solid at the driveshaft or axles (though the sound would be more towards the hubs).
Old 11-10-2018, 04:12 AM
DDD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I’d say the sounds seem like they are along the front shaft, but I’ll jack up the front and get a closer listen. I guess I figured if it were u joints, it would make more noise when turning. No increases noise when turning in either direction. It truly sounds like the brakes are rubbing. That is the best description. But on a different frequency. Meaning instead of hearing a rhythmic sound for every rotation of the wheel, it is rhythm more like every 3 rotations. That’s why it’s baffling. It’s not brakes because when I press the pedal and engage the sound does not go away. Crazy hard to diagnose.