Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front end locked up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default front end locked up?

I have a 99 Cherokee Sport, auto trans, that I just got with 70,000 miles on it. Ran like a top till the other day when, while on the highway, I heard a brief grinding/crunching noise from underneath/up front out of nowhere and immediately lost forward momentum. Kinda felt like a U-joint blowing, but its all stock, and did not in fact blow one upon checking. Motor is fine and still starts and runs normal, but it won't go forward in 4 or 2 wheel drive. It will reverse pretty much normally. There were no busted parts strewn on the road. There were no fluids of any kind leaking or spewing from it. Nothing looked unusual externally under the thing.

Thought maybe it was the transmission or transfer case, but I guess if it was one of those two, it wouldn't move in reverse either, correct? We're thinking its either the front differential or in the front axle somewhere because the front wheels wont turn and are effectively locked. I have a lifted 96 with 252,000 on it and never had an issue like this, nor with any of the other 8 or 9 Cherokees my family has owned over the years. Haven't started tearing into it more yet, but wanted to see if anyone has dealt with something similar or had a thought.

The worst part is, other than this, its practically in mint condition. Got it from the second owner, never been wrecked, was only driven average of 20-30 miles a day by second owner. Needless to say Im not happy with it right now. I haven't even had it 30 days and it passed MD and VA inspections (not that that really means anything) with flying colors. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 H.O

were your wheels locked up in front while going in reverse? like sliding across the ground? it sounds like you may have melted the gears together in the diff if that is the case. did you seize a piston on the brake caliper?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Did you change your diff fluid when you got it?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Did the Jeep pull to either the left or right when you heard the crunch? It would just about have to be a brake or wheel bearing issue the way it sounds. If the front diff. had eaten itself and locked the jeep wouldn't move in forward or reverse.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Have you had the thing up in the air yet? Like trying to turn the tires by hand?