Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front drave shaft and Tcase question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Default Front drave shaft and Tcase question.

Hey everyone, really quick question! I recently noticed a clunk sound coming from my front end when turning left. thought it my bee my axle u joints and its not. My front driveshaft had some play so i took it out. the clunk i heard is now gone and im thinking it may have been coming from my double cardan joint. binding up. the ruber was all cracked in there so Im planning on rebuilding it and seeing if that solves the clunk before moving to the transfer case.(which would be a pain in the butt). I know i have a tcase issue, because it leaks fluid all the time and throws it from my rear driveshaft. sometimes but not pouring out so i just make sure its topped off every few weeks.

after removing my front driveshaft suddenly my transmission is grinding gears in 1st and 2nd. i didnt think my driveshaft had anything to do with my transmission? it doesnt happen every time, just sometimes. The car continues to move forward while accelerating, it just has a light grinding coming from my tranny. Is this normal? or do i have a much bigger problem than i originally thought? For reference its 95 xj with an ax15 trans and an np231 transfer case. I appreciate the help guys. its my daily driver/small off road build so i need it to function, and i cant afford a massive repair so i do most things myself.

Last edited by ryryrose; 01-23-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

Can't really speak on your "clunk" issue, as my front end clunk problems have nothing to do with turning. Clunking in a turn usually points towards axle U-joints...but if that's not the case...your double cardan might just be the ticket.

There's a lot of info in this forum about the AX15 and grinding sounds. Mine grinds a little bit in 1-2 shift when it's cold. Shift slower to let syncros do their job or double clutch. Or...are you sure your T-case is throwing oil and not your transmission?