Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front brake clicking, slight grindage

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front brake clicking, slight grindage

Ok folks, I did not attempt to look up to see if any threads had been posted on this, and it is almost 11pm, I have to be up at 530am to head to work. BUT, this has been on my mind the past few days and I need to see if anyone has any ideas, or answers to what I am having problems with. OK, I bought my 93 Jeep Cherokee Sport almost a month ago, within about a week, I noticed a clicking noise coming from the front end. I gained enough decibels to make me take notice. So, I bought some brake pads, just in case, and when I took the old pads off to inspect them, I noticed some glazing, and it brake pad appeared as if someone put it up against a grinding wheel, it was only worn in a couple spots. Rotor is not in horrible condition(trust me, i'ved had bad brake rotors before). So, I replaced the pads, STILL clicking noises persisted. So I broke out my haynes manual, read the brake section 1.9 gajillion times, noticed that I did not have any of the anti-rattle clips. So I went to Napa, bought some, put them on(WHAT A FA-REAKIN PAIN IN THE A$$). Now, not only do I still have the clicking noise, but I have a grinding noise. No I have not taken the wheel back off yet, haven't had time because I am in the process of moving the family to another home. I notice it when I drive through town, and you get the echo off the buildings, and it seems really loud then...are there supposed to be little clips on the end of the brake pads(kinda like sliders on GM calipers, only a lot smaller). I thought the clips would fix the problem... I am open to any and all suggestions...thanks!!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM

ALSO..I did check the fluids, u-joints...they are all good, the only play I have is what is supposed to be there..ie..I can turn the hub and hear the gears engage...no play in the ujoints, front middle or rear...will be changing front and rear axle fluids within the next few weeks...could it be there was enough damage from those anti rattle clips being gone, that the pads could have worn out grooves in the steering knuckle enough to not allow them to fit properly even with all the correct equipment now installed

Last edited by JTank93XJ; 05-25-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Is the clickin only when u apply the brakes or does it do it while driving
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM

when I apply the brakes...usually less than 10mph...almost sounds like they are jockeying for position in the caliper...