Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front axle seals leak, then no leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L
Default Front axle seals leak, then no leak

So about 6 weeks ago I noticed differential fluid on the big C of the front axle housing by the ball joints, classic sign of broken axle seal. I double checked by touching the fluid and it sure felt and smelled like gear oil. I checked the fill plug to make sure I wasn't running low and sure enough it WAS FULL. So I let it be thinking it is a spring project.

I check again yesterday, and there is no sign of leaking anymore. I check the fill plug and it is still full.

What's the deal? Can the seal sporadically leak?

Only thing I can think of is when I filled the differential, I had the front jacked up so the diff was tilted back a bit which would allow the diff to be overfilled. So maybe that overfill is what leaked out and now that it is back to normal level the leaking stopped.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

All of the above.

They can leak sporadically. But it is also common do dribble for a couple of days following any type of axle work, especially if the vehicle was tilted a little to one side.

Just monitor the spot each day. Make sure to clean it up so that you know how much is new.

If an axle seal really fails, you'll know it. It will start to make a real mess under there (and it will start to sling oil all over the tire when its rotating).

Worst case, the axle seal is beginning to fail, and will need to be replaced. Its not that bad of a job. And pretty cheap.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Thanks for the input, Jordan. I will keep an eye on it.

I will disagree with you, though, and say it is a bad job (dirty, time consuming, too much stuff to take out for a little seal). Did I say I hate changing axle seals? I hate changing axle seals.