Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Freakin fans!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Freakin fans!

My 2001 xj 4x4 6cyl keeps overheating when I'm sitting in traffic or pulling my boat mostly when I'm stopped for a period of time. I bought the jeep 3 months ago and reali zed it didn't have a mechanical fan atatched to it it only has two small electric fans that are straight wired to a switch inside the cab that I now just keep in the on position all the time while driving. I have changed out the thermostat and flushed the whole system. I'm thinking I need new fans any input on this would be great what type of fans? Size? And how many? And where to get them? Thanks guys this is my first post also
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Lots of options here, and I thought the 2001s only had e fans, no mechanical fan.

The fans should be wired to the temp sensor, tho, not to a manual switch.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

All XJ's come with mechanical fans, recently replaced gf's fan clutch on her 01.

Did the PO just use 2 stock aux fans? that is not enough air movement and is the rad plugged or missing alot of fins?

Looking into a ford taurus/mustang 2 speed fan, they are great and would do it again if I had the chance
Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

The XJ rad is really small in sq. in. surface area/engine cid compared to most other vehicles. Very few efans, or combos of efans, will move as much cfm air flow as the stock OE efan/clutch fan combo. In order for the XJ to maintain it's cool this time of year and under a load, ALL cooling system components must be in top notch condition.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: I6

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

go to a JY and get urself a 1995 ford taurus 3.8L V6 fan for like $20-$40
if you want brand new go to Rockauto.com..i don't know if those provide the same CFM as the original taurus fans tho cuz i've read they are all not the same.

Some ppl here have gotten the electric fan setup on ebay: FF Dynamics fan but I think the taurus fan is easier on the wallet.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Yea my taurus fan install costed probably $150 with a new fan from ebay, controller, relays and the like.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Yes it did come with two aux fans and I don't know I'd Walmart sells fans but if they did I could put money on it that's where these came from they look very crapy! The radiator is in great shape and everything else seems to be farly new also. I don't mind spending around 250 to make this work and not have to wory about it anymore.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

yea aux fans are junk
Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by redfish01
My 2001 xj 4x4 6cyl keeps overheating when I'm sitting in traffic or pulling my boat mostly when I'm stopped for a period of time. I bought the jeep 3 months ago and reali zed it didn't have a mechanical fan atatched to it it only has two small electric fans that are straight wired to a switch inside the cab that I now just keep in the on position all the time while driving. I have changed out the thermostat and flushed the whole system. I'm thinking I need new fans any input on this would be great what type of fans? Size? And how many? And where to get them? Thanks guys this is my first post also
one thing no one has touched on is the mechanical fan clutch, or your tranny fluid. turns out, the transmission pan gasket failed and air was developing in the lines. would cause it to run hot.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:

one thing no one has touched on is the mechanical fan clutch, or your tranny fluid. turns out, the transmission pan gasket failed and air was developing in the lines. would cause it to run hot.

^yes, it is in fact a link to my build thread. go ahead, you know you want to...

MD RENIX MAFIA MEMBER #1

OFFICIAL MARYLAND JEEPERS THREAD
OFFICIAL MARYLAND "KARMA" THREAD
OFFICIAL MD JEEPERS MAP (THANKS TO DUKIE564)
OFFICIAL MARYLAND JEEPERS CALENDER

What would I need to do with the tran fluid it has been checked and declared ok when I bought it. What should I go about doing with the tran fluid just have it flushed or can you do that?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Whats a mech fan clutch gonna do when he doesnt have a mech fan? I also dont see how air in the trans fluid would cause the engine to run hot at stop lights.

Edit: Whoa, OP use the quote button or quote tags
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Whats a mech fan clutch gonna do when he doesnt have a mech fan? I also dont see how air in the trans fluid would cause the engine to run hot at stop lights.
same way air in the radiator causes a motor to run hot. since the radiator is part tranny cooler and part engine cooler, if one runs hot, so does the other.

and simple jerm, put a mech fan on it.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

What would I need to do with the tran fluid it has been checked and declared ok when I bought it. What should I go about doing with the tran fluid just have it flushed or can you do that?
when was the last time it was checked? how was it checked?

and that was a challenge reading all that code to fix the quote lol
Old 06-13-2012, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

......The radiator is in great shape and everything else seems to be farly new also. I don't mind spending around 250 to make this work and not have to wory about it anymore.
The only way u can confirm the XJ rad is in "great shape" is to have a rad shop separate the end tanks from the core and inspect the rad internally. A rad can look brand new on the outside but that may not be the case on the inside. Unless u have receipts for all new cooling system components showing "everything else seems to be fairly new", presume the PO did nothing regarding maintenance and presume the cooling system is original. +/-$210 will buy all new cooling system components, including a new rad (minus the fan clutch, which is +/-$35).

I'm sure most folks out there, that have ditched the OE clutch fan for something else, will also agree that nobody makes a rad fan big enough to compensate for other weak cooling system components.

For it's size, the OE efan is about as potent as they come.....and the OE clutch fan with a new clutch is way more potent than the OE efan.

Unless the head has been replaced, u have the infamous 0331 head which is known to crack when overheated.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
The only way u can confirm the XJ rad is in "great shape" is to have a rad shop separate the end tanks from the core and inspect the rad internally. A rad can look brand new on the outside but that may not be the case on the inside. Unless u have receipts for all new cooling system components showing "everything else seems to be fairly new", presume the PO did nothing regarding maintenance and presume the cooling system is original. +/-$210 will buy all new cooling system components, including a new rad (minus the fan clutch, which is +/-$35).

I'm sure most folks out there, that have ditched the OE clutch fan for something else, will also agree that nobody makes a rad fan big enough to compensate for other weak cooling system components.

For it's size, the OE efan is about as potent as they come.....and the OE clutch fan with a new clutch is way more potent than the OE efan.

Unless the head has been replaced, u have the infamous 0331 head which is known to crack when overheated.
x2. or he could put a zj fan clutch in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Freakin fans!