Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Frame photos. "I am afraid now"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Frame photos. "I am afraid now"

Here's some photos of my right rear frame. I would like to know who inspected this vehicle the guy just sold me last week. The stickers are only two months old. It didn't rot out that fast.....Is this dangerous?
Looks like they screwed some metal over the rear frame rail. This scared me when I saw it.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Unscrew the tin and see what's under there. It's the only way you'll know.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Unscrew the tin and see what's under there. It's the only way you'll know.
I put my finger through the hole. I don't think there is anything there. I am afraid to drive it now.
Where the front leaf is bolted on, it looks like there is bondo there. I am pissed!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM

I can't believe that someone put fresh inspection stickers on it.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

It is up to you to exercise due diligence whenever you buy something.

Especially a used motor vehicle. When you sign the papers, you are indicating you are accepting the vehicle with any and all defects, whether known or unknown. Disclosed or not. Hidden or in plain sight.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TonyPa
I put my finger through the hole. I don't think there is anything there. I am afraid to drive it now.
Where the front leaf is bolted on, it looks like there is bondo there. I am pissed!
Offhand I'd be very leery of that too. All you can do is remove all of the sheet metal, bondo, undercoating, etc and see what's there to work with.
Do you have access to a welder or someone who can do it for you?
I've fixed some bad stuff on classic cars, it's just a matter of blasting down to clean metal, cutting out all of the rust and thinned metal and welding in new. Sometimes I'll add some gusseting as reinforcement. Lots of labor but it can be done. Fortunately as frames go, this one's fairly easy to get at to repair.

eta:
I don't know if you have recourse against the seller or the inspector, or if your state places the full responsibility on you to find this stuff- that's a matter for a local att'y to resolve. Yah, you should've looked first. That does not absolve the seller or inspector from their responsibilities if they've run afoul of your state's laws regarding sale and inspection. Some states do not allow this sort of thing to be sold, I don't know about yours. You'll have to inquire locally.

It does appear that substantial frame rust should cause a vehicle to fail the inspection:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...tin_BI11-1.pdf

Last edited by Radi; 06-05-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Offhand I'd be very leery of that too. All you can do is remove all of the sheet metal, bondo, undercoating, etc and see what's there to work with.
I've fixed some bad stuff on classic cars, it's just a matter of blasting down to clean metal, cutting out all of the rust and thinned metal and welding in new. Sometimes I'll add some gusseting as reinforcement. Lots of labor but it can be done. Fortunately as frames go, this one's fairly easy to get at to repair.
I have a 90 amp flux core, if that will do the job. I don't know what thickness of metal to buy. I have half a mind to rip the whole interior out, and buy floor pans, "since their patched", and do the whole thing. I just seen the frame rail, and got scared.

Firestorm500...Yes sir. I know I should have caught it. But I didn't. My fault. I feel like an ***.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM

eta:
I don't know if you have recourse against the seller or the inspector, or if your state places the full responsibility on you to find this stuff- that's a matter for a local att'y to resolve. Yah, you should've looked first. That does not absolve the seller or inspector from their responsibilities if they've run afoul of your state's laws regarding sale and inspection. Some states do not allow this sort of thing to be sold, I don't know about yours. You'll have to inquire locally.

It does appear that substantial frame rust should cause a vehicle to fail the inspection:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...tin_BI11-1.pdf
Oh and yes! That was ILLEGAL to put new stickers on it. I am shocked someone took the chance to do that!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I hate to say it but the problem is kind of your fault for not checking the vehicle out when you bought it. When ever I see fairly fresh paint on something that is the time to really check it out. More then likely they are trying to hide something.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

You can do it with a 90 flux core if you are careful, everything's clean and you do a small area at a time then stop to clean up the spatter before moving on. A larger welder would be better if you can find one. Looks to be 16 ga.
There are companies that make rust repair frame caps and stiffeners, it'd save a lot of fabrication.

Last edited by Radi; 06-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I hate to say it but the problem is kind of your fault for not checking the vehicle out when you bought it. When ever I see fairly fresh paint on something that is the time to really check it out. More then likely they are trying to hide something.
Oh, for sure. There are some real shysters out there, gotta be very careful what you buy.
I do take issue with state inspectors who would pass something obviously bad like that, I'd bet a bit of cash may have been involved. Never trust sellers to not screw you, but state inspectors should do their job.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I know Robert. Trust me, you have no idea how bad I feel right now. I know I can fix it with a lot of effort. Just kind of feel like an idiot. Does run great. Thats a plus!

You can do it with a 90 flux core if you are careful, everything's clean and you do a small area at a time then stop to clean up the spatter before moving on. A larger welder would be better if you can find one. Looks to be 16 ga.
There are companies that make rust repair frame caps and stiffeners, it'd save a lot of fabrication.
I tried finding the rust repair kits for the XJ. I only see floor pans. I dont see the repair kits for frames, only for wranglers. Unless I am just not finding them.

Oh, for sure. There are some real shysters out there, gotta be very careful what you buy.
I do take issue with state inspectors who would pass something obviously bad like that, I'd bet a bit of cash may have been involved. Never trust sellers to not screw you, but state inspectors should do their job.
Yes there are. I am 48 years old. Thats the first time I had gotten nailed on a car. I was overdue I guess.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Well, you live and learn.

Besides any legal recourse, if any, you have 3 options:

1. Fix it.

2. Sell it.

3. Live with it like it is.

A well-equipped, competent shop can make up pieces to replace the rotted out areas. They can rust-proof it and weld it in. If you decide to fix it, I would let the pros do it.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L H/O

Here is a link for frame stiffeners http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by I ARE EL1TE
You beat me to it I was going to mention that they do make the frame stiffeners. Don't let It get you down to much. $hit happens and it happens to all of us at one time or another. Like the others said I would be really pissed at the inspector that passed it like that. Here in South Texas we have an annual safety inspection and the shop that I always take all of my vehicles to had a new guy working there and wouldn't pass it because I lost a lug nut when I got a flat a couple of days before. Anyways he said that he would pass it if I gave him $20. I went across the street to a tire shop and asked them if they had any old lug nuts. Put it on and they passed it. Then I went to the shop owner and told him what the new guy was doing. Needless to say he was fired on the spot.

Quick Reply: Frame photos. "I am afraid now"