Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

four wheel drive shift question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 cyl HO
Default four wheel drive shift question

This is my first vehicle and its a 1991 jeep cherokee limited. Which of the 4wd settings will I use to go through mud and rough terrain? Also how do I shift into that gear? I don't want to tear anything up.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Nicnic100
This is my first vehicle and its a 1991 jeep cherokee limited. Which of the 4wd settings will I use to go through mud and rough terrain? Also how do I shift into that gear? I don't want to tear anything up.
Ok it's not to hard to remember these few tricks. When in doubt about how to shift it, put your tranny in neutral. You'll need to have it in neutral to shift to 4 low anyway. 2wd is normal driving. 4wd is moderate wheeling or some snow and stuff like that. You can keep the tranny in drive if you have an auto other wise if you drive a 5 spd just normally shift. 4 low is the magic of it all. This is your fail safe and go to for maximum power. Shift your tranny to neutral and then shift through to 4 low. Shift to first gear, then watch the magic. Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

depends on the terrain and conditions...for mud you'll need momentum and wheel speed...4H, 2nd gear will allow you plenty of wheel spin. Rock crawlin...4L 1st-2nd gear depending on how extreme. Snow...whatever keeps you from standing on the brakes. Downhill descents...use the gearing and engine compression ( little brakes) to help hold it back. Safe to go in 4H but won't hold you back like 4L....2WD Daily onroad driving and easy gravel and trails.

**These are my SUGGESTIONS, others have they're own way and nobodies is more right than anyone else's...its just what works for my driving style and most importantly my rig setup******
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by rockhound23
depends on the terrain and conditions...for mud you'll need momentum and wheel speed...4H, 2nd gear will allow you plenty of wheel spin. Rock crawlin...4L 1st-2nd gear depending on how extreme. Snow...whatever keeps you from standing on the brakes. Downhill descents...use the gearing and engine compression ( little brakes) to help hold it back. Safe to go in 4H but won't hold you back like 4L....2WD Daily onroad driving and easy gravel and trails.

**These are my SUGGESTIONS, others have they're own way and nobodies is more right than anyone else's...its just what works for my driving style and most importantly my rig setup******
i follow the same style with my rig well said