Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Found the cause of my transmission leak and need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Found the cause of my transmission leak and need some advice.

Hello all,

So I've had this transmission leak for a month and a half or so, but lately its been seriously spewing. Everything is fairly bathed down there, but it seemed to be mostly coming from around my transfer case cross member. Fearing a rear seal was the issue but wanting to confirm, I bought a UV dye kit and found this:

https://imgur.com/a/CHp3F8r

Yeah, that's big ol crack in my transmission housing, right behind the bell housing on the driver side.

Now, I was looking to sell the jeep here really soon, and was hoping it was the trans output seal so I could just drop the t-case and swap it out next weekend and list/sell it soon after, but now I'm not sure what to do.

I imagine that it will be worth dramatically less now if I listed it as is, so I guess putting another transmission is the best option? Does anyone have any idea as to how much money one would cost at a junkyard, and, seeing as mine is a 97, can I only use one from another 97? I have a shop so I should be able to complete the job on my own, but how involved is it to actually pull the transmission and put a new one in? what else would be involved with swapping in a new transmission, and are there any other options?

Thank you