Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fog light questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6
Default fog light questions

So a few months back I replaced my factory fogs with cheap-o ones from a friend. Despite the size, they're actually really bright. I just wired them up to a switch, no replays or anything, and the amp gauge drops a little when I turn them on. It was never a problem, because my headlights made it drop the same way and it wasn't that much of a drop. I might get another cheap set from another friend and wire them up in the same circuit as the ones I have on now. Should I put a relay in to stop the amp drop or will that do nothing? I'm lookin to get a dakota alternator once I find one at the JY, so this is just a cheaper alternative for the time being.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Upgrading your grounds will help with voltage drop.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

I could start on that. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 PM

I'm assuming that you're talking about your dash voltmeter when you refer to your "amp gauge". If so, the voltage drop on the gauge is normal, since you're loading it down with a greater load.

Upgrading your grounds (or the rest of your wiring or installing a relay) could very well make your voltmeter drop even more, since you'll be able to run even MORE current through the better electrical connections.

As long as your battery is still getting enough voltage to charge while running, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you wire a second set of lights in, you're definitly going to benefit from an upgraded harnass and relays. Two pairs of lights will almost certainly be too much of a draw for any factory wiring, and even if the wires/fuses/relay don't overheat, you'll loose enough voltage across the wires that the lights will be much dimmer than they should be. Personally, I'd use TWO relays, one for each pair of lights.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

just a question, did the 2000 xj's have ground issues like the earlier models did?? sorry, not hijacking, just made me think about my jeep. watchin what you do with interest as I have to add fog lights too.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

I might splice my fogs now into the factory harness, then wire up a second set to my switch with all the necessary components. Either way I'm gonna wire everything up the way it should be. Right now I have my little fogs hot wired to the battery. I can turn them on regardless of the engine running or ignition on. I'm in the process of finding a Dakota alternator to do the upgrade, so this was just a thought I had to save myself money and get a little insurance for the time being. I appreciate the help guys!

squirrel, I'm not too sure if they have the same ground problems. I imagine jeep phased the problems out by 2000. haha.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

So I'm bringing this back cuz I have another question. How would I go about wiring them into the stock harness? I'm fairly certain my wires are overheating because I'm starting to smell a burning smell, and today I saw smoke coming from behind my clock. I drove with the fogs off and everything was perfectly fine. So I'm gonna either upgrade the wiring and add a relay and ground on the switch, or just splice them into the stock wiring harness. I have the original fogs with the plugs (fogs are all rusty and broken), so I'm thinkin I'll cut the wires, splice them with the aftermarket fogs, and use the old plug to connect back into the harness. That way my original harness remains fine, cuz I can always get replacement fogs again with the plugs. Or even just get new connectors and make them work. Has anyone done this? I'd like to use the old switch and put my extra set of fogs (now only 1 due to a broken lens ) on the switch I use now. I'll have a total of 3 on the bumper. Looking to use 100w bulbs instead of 55w bulbs also, so the wiring needs to be strong enough to handle the current.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The factory harness and switch gear won't carry a lot of additional current either.
I'd add an outboard relay to carry power to the lights, you can use the existing power lead for the fogs to operate the relay. That way you'll retain the original switches and wiring, the only difference will be that it powers a load carrying relay instead of the lights directly.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

So basically the switch turns on the relay, which sends power to the lights?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
So basically the switch turns on the relay, which sends power to the lights?
that's how I'd do it. The existing wiring turns on a relay that you add, which powers up the lights.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind. Gonna get some relays and stuff tomorrow, didn't get to it today. Hopefully it isn't too expensive.