Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Foamy Dip Stick

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech"
Default Foamy Dip Stick

Hey guys,

After I came home from work today I decided to check my oil. When I removed the dip stick I noticed there was some foam on the dip stick. Just wondering if this is normal (I'm not sure because I just purchased my Jeep recently).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Not normal. Not good. You might have got water in the engine. You'll want to change the oil. But I'd let someone with more knowledge chime in.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Not normal. Not good. You might have got water in the engine. You'll want to change the oil. But I'd let someone with more knowledge chime in.
Horrible

I just purchased it the other week and it didn't have this problem when I inspected it. Anyways I was planning on doing an oil change n tune up this weekend...

Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L I4 MPI

its not that bad dude at worst you will have to put a new head gasket in its not that hard

Edit: if it is your head gasket ill buy it off you for 300 bucks if you dont want any more...
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Get some fresh oil in there and then monitor it.

Old oil and vehicles that take mostly short trips where the engine doesn't burn off any moisture can contribute to this.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker

Old oil and vehicles that take mostly short trips where the engine doesn't burn off any moisture can contribute to this.

I do have a short trip, 5 min of driving. Will do the oil change this weekend then monitor it thereafter
Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by its_deer_not_jeep
its not that bad dude at worst you will have to put a new head gasket in its not that hard

Edit: if it is your head gasket ill buy it off you for 300 bucks if you dont want any more...

if thats the worst case scenerio, its not that bad like you said. and if you add another zero at the end of your offer, the sure
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.

Are you loosing coolant? That will be an indicator also. Take it on a good flog session before changing the oil too, get it nice and hot and drain it, be carefull of course since that oil will be in excess of 200 degrees. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L I4 MPI

Originally Posted by Jameson079
if thats the worst case scenerio, its not that bad like you said. and if you add another zero at the end of your offer, the sure
lol i bought mine for 300 dollars i could have had it for 100 but my mom wanted everything it came with(tune up parts and brand new battery) the only thing wrong with it is a tree fell on the roof left a cool big dent and some rust and i gota replace the clutch and throw out bearing lol easy stuff to fix lol

but if you want to sell it my offer still stands 300 dollars the most 500 dollars lol if you need help on it though hit me up and if you ever need some one to work on it i live in vegas and ill do the work for free just pay for the gas or pay for the plain ticket lol
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by tjwalker

x2, one of the biggest things of an engine completly warming up, is "burning" off the any condensation that develops in the block from cooling down after operation and then sitting at night. When taking short trips to work such as yourself, the engine will not have the oppurtunity to completly burn off any condensation stored in the block. The thing to do is drain your oil and inspect it's appearance. If you have a blown gasket, depending on the severity of the damage to the gasket, the oil will have a grey, milky appearance to it. When you drain and inspect your oil, if there is no mildy appearance to the oil, then just fill it back up and monitor your coolant loss from that point on, if you are loosing abnormal amounts of coolant, then you might want to check further into a bad head gasket.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Having similar issues myself. Loss of coolant and the oil level is reading higher than it should (and this truck usually uses a little oil). After running it awhile, I shut it off and listen under the hood and I can hear a a gurgling noise or almost like running water. Then I see bubbles coming into the reservoir tank and coolant leaving the bottle. Head gasket is on it's way out I guess but what are the chances it's a cracked water jacket? I keep hearing these engines are pretty stout but this is my first Jeep. It's a 2000 Sport with the 4.0 I6. Aprox. 120K on the truck.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Urbncby
Having similar issues myself. Loss of coolant and the oil level is reading higher than it should (and this truck usually uses a little oil). After running it awhile, I shut it off and listen under the hood and I can hear a a gurgling noise or almost like running water. Then I see bubbles coming into the reservoir tank and coolant leaving the bottle. Head gasket is on it's way out I guess but what are the chances it's a cracked water jacket? I keep hearing these engines are pretty stout but this is my first Jeep. It's a 2000 Sport with the 4.0 I6. Aprox. 120K on the truck.
If you have a 2000 or 2001 XJ 4.0 and are seeing a loss of coolant, you need to take heed.

This vehicle from the factory, comes with the infamous 0331 cylinder head. It has a casting defect between cylinders 3-4 which makes this head prone to cracking. An overheat almost guarantees a cylinder head crack and even if it doesn't overheat, certain ones will just fail.

The #1 symptom of a cracked 0331 head is loss of coolant.

If I were you, I would perform a comprehensive search for a leak first. But if you don't find one, you would be well served to pull the valve cover off and perform an inspection with a good light between cylinders 3-4. Most people with a cracked 0331 can see the cracks.

Below is a thread that you need to read if you own an 00-01. It gives you lots of information about the 0331 head. If you have a cracked head and don't get it resolved quickly, the coolant mixing into the oil will eventually toast the engine bearings and then you are looking at a rebuild or getting a different engine.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=391831
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You will get foamy oil if you over fill the crankcase. The crank will whip the oil into a foamy mess.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Year: 97

i thot the noise you hear when you shut the jeep off is just oil draining back into the pan
Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 PM

well....

was working on it the other day and took it in for a smog check. DID NOT PASS. missing some vacuum hose's and the previous owner mc gyver the *** out of the sensors... dropping it off at my mechanic shop today after the game.

As for the the foamy oil. well the ccv hose could have played a role in it. not too sure. had oil in the air filter which made me check out the ccv hose. tugged on it and it broke off the crank case. seems like it broke off a long time ago and was just deteriorating in the crank case. so now i need to take off the crank case, clean it out, get a new gasket, and then close it back up. but that will wait till i get the jeep back from my mechanic.

depending how much it will cost to pass smog will determine my next moves.

Quick Reply: Foamy Dip Stick