Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

flat towing 88 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default flat towing 88 cherokee

I searched the forum, but did not see anything specific to my 88.
I plan to tow my 88 cherokee, manual tranny, about 2,000 miles total on some running around trips between washington state and Moab next month. Should I leave the tranny in gear and put the T-case in neutral?
I'll be towing it behind a 36 foot diesel motorhome and have a good blue ox tow bar.
I thought, due to the distance, I should just pull the rear drive shaft, but if it's not necessary then I can just jump in and go when I get here and there.
Help set me right.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Just put the transmission in Neutral and put the 4wd in "N" as well. Should be fine.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:23 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

make sure the steering is not locked! you may have to turn the key partially to make sure the steering column is free to turn as it needs to
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by perez1989
Just put the transmission in Neutral and put the 4wd in "N" as well. Should be fine.
Manual states to leave a manual transmission in 2nd gear NOT NEUTRAL and the transfer case in neutral. This is how I've towed 4x4 Jeeps for thousands of miles behind my motorhome without issue.

Originally Posted by 00xj36s
make sure the steering is not locked! you may have to turn the key partially to make sure the steering column is free to turn as it needs to
+1 leave the steering column unlocked by moving the key to the first position after off and before run.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Default towing

Leaving the tranny in gear and the T-case in neutral seems to be the most popular method in the other posts. It keeps the tranny lubed?
I don't have a manual and the conflicting anwsers concerm me about hurting the tranny/T-case.

Robertj, I think you have it right for long tows.

Last edited by mudmizer; 02-23-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mudmizer
Leaving the tranny in gear and the T-case in neutral seems to be the most popular method in the other posts.Yes It keeps the tranny lubed?no
I don't have a manual and the conflicting anwsers concerm me about hurting the tranny/T-case.

Robertj, I think you have it right for long tows.
4WD - Shift Trany into 2nd gear or leave in park, TC in N
2WD - Trany in neutral.

in a 4wd the Trans will not be getting any lube, as it will not be turning, With the TC will new in neutral, the trany is diconnected from the axels, so there will be nothing to rotate the trany. unless of course you leave the motor running and put it in gear.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 liter

transfer case needs to be in neutral and the transmission in gear.

if the transmission is in neutral it wont get proper lubing as it rotates and will burn.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vstahl
transfer case needs to be in neutral and the transmission in gear.

if the transmission is in neutral it wont get proper lubing as it rotates and will burn.

With the TC in Neutral the trans will not be turning, as there is nothing connected to the trans to turn it, SO NO LUBING. This is a myth.

With the TC in neutral, the only way for the tranny to turn is via the engine. With the TC in neutral the Tranny doesn't rquire lube, as it is NOT turning.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have no idea why Chrysler says to leave it in gear (and I doubt many would know), but they do. There's no harm in doing it just as Chrysler says to do it. And that would be to leave it in 2nd gear. As I said, I've towed 4x4 Jeeps behind my motorhome for thousands upon thousands of miles just this way without an issue. Simple enough...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

so... can take a Automatic.. just leave in park.. put transfer case in Neutral...and flat tow ? hell... id got a AUTO if thats the case...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto trans in Park, and t-case in neutral to flat tow. T-case in neutral will not allow anything else in the drive train to turn, since the t-case is the link to the rest of the drive train from the axles. If any rotating of tranny takes place, it is simply a viscous connection, and will diminish as the lubricant warms up. There is no need to place the trans in any other gear than Park, as it doesn't turn during towing with the t-case in neutral.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:19 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Flat Towing - All Depends

Best I understand:

Transfer case in Neutral means it is disengaged FROM THE TRANNY AND MOTOR, but doesn't mean it's disengaged from drive train, front and rear.

Pre '91 cherokees with a 'disco 30' front end came with 30's and a vacuum disconnect front end. IF that feature hasn't been disabled, and no one replaced with later model parts, then the front axle wont be linked to the turning front and rear drive train while towing. The drive trains are still linked together in the TC and still driving the rear axle and rear wheels. YES, again, even in neutral, the drive trains are linked together and driving the axle(s), they just aren't engaged with the tranny. But with the pre '91, if it has a disco front end, that wont turn the front axle and front wheels, and so I dont think it will cause an issue. It will just turn the back wheels. Game time.

After '91 but before '96, you DONT have a disconnected front end, and you still DID NOT have a true neutral. In that case, problems may very well occur because all 4 wheels are turned by the two linked drive trains, even with TC in neutral (not engaging with tranny and engine, but engaging drive trains and tires--all the tires, putting the two axles in competition.) This is risky, despite people's stories of getting away with it.

After '96, they made a true neutral. That means the drive trains aren't linked with the TC in neutral. Since then SOME models have true neutral and some dont, depending what options/package the vehicle has. In recent years, the towable option is the "Active Drive II" transmission, which is not available on the Sport model, but is available when buying a Latitude or a Limited, and comes standard on the Trailhawk. But the "Active Drive I" option doesn't have true low-range tranny setting/ "true neutral" and, while you might get away with it, puts you back in paragraph 2, above.

BEST TO TOW A PRE-'91 OR POST '96 WITH A TRANNY THAT INCLUDES A TRUE NEUTRAL. IF POSSIBLE, BEST TO FLAT TOW ONLY VEHICLES WITH A TRUE NEUTRAL (BEATS RELYING ON VACUUM DISCONNECT TO KEEP FRONT DISENGAGED FROM REAR WHILE TOWING.) AND BEST TO DISCONNECT THE DRIVE TRAINS ANYWAY,IF YOU'RE GOING FAR. FOR LONG HAULS, WHY NOT? IT TAKES 15 MINUTES ON EACH END OF THE TRIP. TORQUE THEM TIGHT AGAIN ON ARRIVAL, TO THE SPECIFIED FOOT-POUNDS, AND YOU ABSOLUTELY KNOW YOU'RE NOT DESTROYING SOMETHING FOR NO GOOD REASON.
I think...
Old 04-28-2018, 08:21 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by robertj
I have no idea why Chrysler says to leave it in gear (and I doubt many would know), but they do. There's no harm in doing it just as Chrysler says to do it. And that would be to leave it in 2nd gear. As I said, I've towed 4x4 Jeeps behind my motorhome for thousands upon thousands of miles just this way without an issue. Simple enough...
Chrysler didn't develop that system. AMC/Jeep did.....

To confirm. Transfer case in neutral, auto trans in park, manual trans in 2nd gear.

VERIFY the vehicle rolls before hooking up and going down the road!!!!!!!!!