Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fixed Rear Axle Seal Leak, now getting grinding sound from Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6cyl
Default Fixed Rear Axle Seal Leak, now getting grinding sound from Rear End

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee 6 cyl with Quadra Drive, only has 52k miles on it all original parts. I had a leak in the transfer case and in the right rear axle seal fixed by VIP auto part store and ever since I got it back it has been making a grinding sound from the rear end when taking left or right turns. I have brought it back to them repeatedly and they have flushed the fluid, then admitted they forgot to add the LSD additive in when they fixed the axle seal in the first place. They have since added the additive and still the problem exists, it got better at first but never full went away. Then I brought it to the dealer because I was tired of them trying to fix it, the dealer said they put the wrong fluid in it and added MOPAR fluid and additive. Made the grinding sound again for the first couple of turns after picking up from the dealer but then went completely away for the whole ride home(about 10 miles) which it had never gone completely away before when VIP "tried" to fix it. But then the next morning on my way to work it started making that noise again right away, but seemed to get better the more I drove. After work on my way home it started again, and then again this morning on the way to work same thing, started off bad, got a little better on the way but never completely went away.
My question(s) are:
1) Given the low miles(52k) is it possible that the clutch packs are failing already? Could this have been made worse by VIP failing to put in the additive initially and telling me to drive it for a week to break in?
2) Could it just be the bearing that they replaced when they fixed the axle seal? It wouldn't make sense that it got better after they added the additive if it was the bearing, correct?
3) Does anyone know what the specific additive and fluid that needs to be put in the 2000 Jeep? VIP is saying that the additives and tranny fluid are all the same which is BS.
4) If it is the clutch packs, any recommendations on where to have it fixed? Dealer seesm to be most expensive, will definitely NOT let VIP touch it again, but want to try to save some $. Any other parts I should replace while they have the whole rear-end taken apart?

Thanks for any suggestions/information, this is so F@^#@ frustrating, I am buying a house and don't have $1000's lying around to fix someone else's mistake(VIP)!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Clutch packs are failing because of the lack of additive, and the fact that they suck. Grinding sound is a bad bearing, additive shouldn't have any affect on the bearing, may go quieter but problem is still there. STD tranny fluids are basically the same, you don't need any additives except the friction modifier IF you have LSD. Use the fluids the manual calls for, brand is pure opinion.

You want to save money, DO IT YOURSELF. I'd pull the cover make sure they put everything together correctly, Pull the axle make sure they got the seal and bearing in correctly.