Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First Stuck: Stock

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default First Stuck: Stock

I'm ashamed. I got stuck in my stock XJ. After driving on some snow covered dirt/mud roads for a while, my copilot (never listen to your copilot) pointed out a road that climbed a lightly snow covered hill, so I decided to bomb it. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how deep the gully was (which was completely covered in a show drift) and I came to rest high centered on a bed of hard-pack snow with my passenger rear and driver front on earth (feel free to donate to my locker fund). The biggest problem was that the 'earth' I referred to was actually boot-eating mud. We've got really thick clay here so you get hung up really easily. My buddy tried putting weight on any corner he thought might get me enough traction, but the belly pan resting on hard pack snow made that completely ineffective.

The great thing about getting stuck is that I can now figure out what needs to come first. Obviously, I need to pick better roads to drive on . I'm definitely planning recovery gear too. I had that figured out for this trip, but who knows what the future will bring. I'll also get lifted with some good mud terrain rubbers. I'll need/want better bumpers for recovery points (although I have tow hooks on the front and a class 3 hitch on rear). I like the idea of a receiver mounted winch, so I'll look to get a front bumper with a hitch. Then I think I'll be off looking for lockers that still allow for great on-road ice/winter performance. Any other suggestions?

s
Attached Images    
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

hope you were not alone??
Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Of course not...I had a passenger (ha ha). I had a buddy about 5 minutes out with a gnarly work truck. He is a steel worker so my little belly flop was only worth a little head shake from him .

s
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

awesome. now I feel better. I did the same dumbass thing in my gc. only thing Iwas alone and new better. glad I didn't get in any farther then I did. That snow your in looks wet and heavy. good pics
Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

That's not too bad I've had a dumber stuck than that. I was playing around on a berm in a turnout off the side of one road in the middle of nowhere, alone. I decided to do something a little stupid and I drove over a part of the berm that I convinced myself wasn't too high, but it was. I high centered and got stuck. The Jeep was resting on the frame rails and transmission so I tried to dig out the dirt with whatever I had in the truck. 10 minutes into that a park ranger pulled up and told me that I was trespassing on park land (no signs or anything to indicate it wasn't a regular turnout) and that the cops were on the way and gave me an ETA for their arrival and a shovel so I could get the Jeep out faster, wished me luck and drove off. I got unstuck but not before the cop got there. I felt like an idiot for the next 3 weeks and it cost me $236. Just watch out, if it looks like its a bad idea, it probably is. Lesson learned and I'm sure I wont do something like that again.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 AM

Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Those that have...and those that will....

Got stuck once in a very soft sand pit years ago. I too listened to my co-pilot. He told me the trail was wide enough, (for a geo metro maybe, but not a 75 dodge p/u with mudders). All it took was one front wheel to start over the edge and that was that. 4 hours later, 3 stuck rigs and 3 successful rescue missions by an unidentified XJ pilot, we continued on our way....

needless to say, theres now an XJ parked outside my house.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

we've all had those!! I decided to go and play in a "dry" canal with my stock nissan 4x4 (I had done this a few times in the past) every thing looked ok there was only a stream as wide as my tire so I attempt to cross to the other side to climb the hill no go front bumper hit the ground I had to walk for a bout an hour to get to the closest person I knew. never by myself again!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

yeah, i was offroading and i went threw this mud pit that my buddy went threw with his 36" and i had stock 27" at the time and fallowed his ruts from just being excided and having a good time, not a good idea.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

I guess I don't mind doing foolish things as long as I have guaranteed recovery within 5 minutes of me. Those photos were literally taken 5 minutes from my neighborhood. This is the benefit of living in a town of 20k people. No matter where you are, you're in the middle of nowhere.

s
Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have yet to have my first stuck... in my XJ that is. My old '90 Caravan with a 5 speed was another story. I used to drive it like it actually had 4wd. Didn't do too bad. I did bury it last summer going into the back field at my folks place. Had to get the Farmall to pull her out. Didn't have the XJ at the time.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

i figured it would be cool to bootleg it on wet pavement coming out onto the 4 lane when i was younger in my old 2x4 chevy... came around alittle fast and ended up in the soaked median in really a 1x4 truck... looked up the hill and there was a cop that had someone pulled over... 10 seconds later he left his lights on and just came down the hill to me... he was pretty cool though and i didnt really tell him i did it on purpose but i had a strap in the back and he actually pulled me out with the crown vic... lol... Its bad enough getting pulled out by a ford but a ford CAR!!... and the police! felt like an idiot... probly cause i am
Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by jrhockey03
I have yet to have my first stuck... in my XJ that is. My old '90 Caravan with a 5 speed was another story. I used to drive it like it actually had 4wd. Didn't do too bad. I did bury it last summer going into the back field at my folks place. Had to get the Farmall to pull her out. Didn't have the XJ at the time.
Buddy of mine wheeled the heck out of a 94 Ford Van. 351 W. We put about 70 miles on it just around his yard and doing hardcore burnouts out on the highway. We burned 3 tires off the rim on that thing. Vans are fun.