Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First post...Got my XJ stuck and I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0H.O. I6
Question First post...Got my XJ stuck and I have questions

Let me start off by saying I am sooooo glad to find a Cherokee spacific forum.
I have a 92 Cherokee Limited with a 3 inch lift and some custome work done to it.

I recently was off roading and broke through some ice into a deep hole. Did a nose dive basically. Passenger rear tire was off the ground and the driver side was close to being off the ground as well. We couldn't pull the jeep out....broke 3 straps trying.
We had to leave it overnight. We came back and all the water had frozen over so the entire front end was frozen to the ground. Took us like 8 hours to get it out.
Once out the front wheels were frozen in place! We had to drag it throught the woods to loosen one of the wheels up then I finally put it in low gear to break the other loose.
My questions are what kind of damage usually comes with submerging the front axle in frozen water? Do I need to re grease the berings?
The tie rod is bent beyond recognition.
The jeep is pretty much undrivable for now.
What can I expect as far as problems with my axle from this accident?
Thanks for the forum all. I look forward to learning from all of you!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Just to be safe it would be best to re-grease the bearings or even replace them while they are out as they are pretty cheap, and change the diff fluid as well.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

If it is 4WD then it has unit bearings and a replacement would be a good idea. Also if it was mine I would change the fron end gear lube. It probably is mixed with water and a change is in order.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

definatly change your fluids, i have seen the results of not changing contaminated oils before and it can be very expensive...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Clean up and re-pack the axle bearings with good high temp wheel bearing grease. Remove the diff cover and clean the gears, carrier and diff area really good and put in new gear oil. Oh, and be sure to clean the front brakes really good, too.
Get yourself a new tierod out of a Junkyard donor XJ. Before you put it in your XJ, go to your local hardware store and buy a piece of 1/2" steel rod. My local Ace Hardware had it. Put steel rod inside hollow tie rod. This in effect makes your old wimpy hollow tierod now solid and much stronger. Hopefully the donor tierods are in good shape and you can just clean them up, grease them and use them or buy new tierods.
Remember setting the toe on your front wheels is as easy as taking a tape measuer and measuring center to center of the front side and back side of your front tires. Adjust the tierod until these measurements are equal. Done. No alignment required by a shop.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Before you put it in your XJ, go to your local hardware store and buy a piece of 1/2" steel rod. My local Ace Hardware had it. Put steel rod inside hollow tie rod. This in effect makes your old wimpy hollow tierod now solid and much stronger.

what a cracking idea? would never have thought of that..cool
Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Get yourself a new tierod out of a Junkyard donor XJ. Before you put it in your XJ, go to your local hardware store and buy a piece of 1/2" steel rod. My local Ace Hardware had it. Put steel rod inside hollow tie rod. This in effect makes your old wimpy hollow tierod now solid and much stronger.
Now that's a hell of an idea. I like it and it's cheaper then guying a new tie rod/draglink setup...I'll add that to my list of to do's..
Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Before you put it in your XJ, go to your local hardware store and buy a piece of 1/2" steel rod. My local Ace Hardware had it. Put steel rod inside hollow tie rod. This in effect makes your old wimpy hollow tierod now solid and much stronger.
I wish I had known about this awesome idea when I replaced all my TREs a month ago. Certainly a must do for next time!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0H.O. I6

Thanks all. I am going to try to take a whack at fixing the problems this weekend(going to be warmer) I will see what I can get done.