Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Finally..sheet metal in...?? about drains, tiedowns, and sealer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Finally..sheet metal in...?? about drains, tiedowns, and sealer...

Finally...due to a bunch of scheduling & weather issues...I just got done cutting the last pieces of sheet metal to go in the 95 Sport.

I bought 1 pre-made front (passenger side) pan (still had to cut it to fit some), but went with 16ga steel for the rest. All are cut to fit the original pan (the flat part). All are ready to get pop riveted or self drill/self tap sheet metal screws (or even bolts to pull it tight as needed) into place starting tomorrow.

Now I need advice:

How to seal...I've seen "Automotive Seam Sealer" listed...but where can I find it (NAPA?) or will something else work?

Aside from the original hardware (seat bolts mostly)....any special input on convenient stuff (tie downs) and what to get and where)?

And....

Drain Plugs a good idea?...it's not like there's not massive holes where the original floor was...so I can easily drill through the sheet metal going in and get plugs in place.

What to get, where to get it is the big question....

I'm still undecided on how the final interior finish (POR 15, then carpet or Bed Liner and floor mats?) will go.

Trying to keep it relatively cheap and easy. The total outlay for this is $500 for the Sport (including title/registration/tax), $600 Parts (Radiator, Water Pump, Belt, Used Alternator, NP 231 Trans. Case, Sheet Metal and Misc. small parts...hatch shocks, fan shroud, and starter)...

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Going out this PM after my Daughter's Soccer game to get

the stuff...if no reply, I'll play it by ear, but any suggestions would be great.