Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Figuring out reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Figuring out reverse lights

Hey all, so close to getting my jeep ready for the road. Just having some issues with my reverse lights. So wiring to the lights is good and the bulbs are good. However, When it comes to the plug for the reverse switch, I'm not getting power. Theoretically, I believe that I should get power to one side of the plugs for the reverse switch. I've tried tracing the power wire to the switch but to no avail at the moment. What should I be checking to get power to the switch?

Here is the reverse switch plug where I believe one side should be getting power. Neither side gets power.

This is the wiring from the plug into the cars wiring.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

AW4 transmission? The backup lights are controlled by the NSS(neutral safety switch)on the trans. Have you had any dealings with it?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Check your neutral safety switch on the passenger side of the transmission. The contacts inside of it get dirty over time and will cause the reverse lights to not work and sometimes it won't start in park or neutral without wigging the shiftier. I had this problem and I had to replace the whole switch because I live in the rust belt and couldn't get it off with out breaking it. It fixed the reveres lights.
Here is a video on this
Old 04-12-2017, 09:29 PM

My bad, I should've clarified. I have an 88 xj with the Aisin 5 speed. I've taken the reverse switch out and it didn't appear worn.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Note from DJ
You need to look for a 7.5Amp fuse in the Fuse Panel marked TRANS; with the key in the ON position check both sides of that fuse for power for starters.

Also while you are checking that fuse take a flashlight and take a look at the push rod for the slave cylinder for your clutch; if it ever starts to leak it will drip onto the fuse panel and cause a lot of problems.

Please keep us posted to your progress.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by djgrayxj
Note from DJ
You need to look for a 7.5Amp fuse in the Fuse Panel marked TRANS; with the key in the ON position check both sides of that fuse for power for starters.

Also while you are checking that fuse take a flashlight and take a look at the push rod for the slave cylinder for your clutch; if it ever starts to leak it will drip onto the fuse panel and cause a lot of problems.

This^^.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

X2
Old 04-14-2017, 01:50 AM

Note from DJ

Ok I'll look into this tomorrow and report back on findings.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:14 PM

Alright checked and replaced the trans fuse as well as cleaned the contacts with an electrical cleaner. Unfortunately a new fuse didn't help so I checked for power and I'm getting power on the top contact and not the bottom. Which is normal correct?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:20 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by mustwarnorcas
Alright checked and replaced the trans fuse as well as cleaned the contacts with an electrical cleaner. Unfortunately a new fuse didn't help so I checked for power and I'm getting power on the top contact and not the bottom. Which is normal correct?
No. If electricity is passing through the fuse, both sides of the fuse should have power.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
No. If electricity is passing through the fuse, both sides of the fuse should have power.
Sorry I meant I didn't have the fuse in. I'll do it with the fuse in but I'm fairly certain I will get power to both contacts after I put in this new fuse.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

When it comes to the plug for the reverse switch, I'm not getting power.
I'm getting power on the top contact and not the bottom.
I might connect a meter between the switch and that bottom contact and check Ohm's/resistance while jiggling some wires, that might help find a bad spot. Just hazarding a guess those should be connected.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 04-15-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Note from DJ
I’m glad you are keeping us posted as to your progress.
I asked you this question while you are checking that fuse take a flashlight and take a look at the push rod for the slave cylinder for your clutch; if it ever starts to leak it will drip onto the fuse panel and cause a lot of problems. You forgot to answer this question.

I also stated that you need to look for a 7.5Amp fuse in the Fuse Panel marked TRANS; with the key in the ON position check both sides of that fuse for power for starters.

I’m going to post a simple diagram of the path of the power down to your C279 connector on a black with a yellow tracer wire that is supposed to have power.

You will also see that the path for power goes into the C111 connector pin #A BLK/YEL wire on its way to C279 connector on the BLK/YEL wire; this is where you stated that you had no power. So we are trying to find out where you lost the path for the battery power.

Keeping us posted as to your progress.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:53 AM

Note from DJ
I’m glad you are keeping us posted as to your progress.
I asked you this question while you are checking that fuse take a flashlight and take a look at the push rod for the slave cylinder for your clutch; if it ever starts to leak it will drip onto the fuse panel and cause a lot of problems. You forgot to answer this question.

I also stated that you need to look for a 7.5Amp fuse in the Fuse Panel marked TRANS; with the key in the ON position check both sides of that fuse for power for starters.

I’m going to post a simple diagram of the path of the power down to your C279 connector on a black with a yellow tracer wire that is supposed to have power.

You will also see that the path for power goes into the C111 connector pin #A BLK/YEL wire on its way to C279 connector on the BLK/YEL wire; this is where you stated that you had no power. So we are trying to find out where you lost the path for the battery power.

Keeping us posted as to your progress.

Thank you for that diagram! I took a look at below my clutch slave cylinder and I didn't see a fuse panel rather a bunch of wires connecting. However, nonetheless, I didn't see the slave cylinder leaking but I'll take another better look with a flashlight you stated. I did check the 7.5 trans amp and replace it along with cleaning the contacts. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 AM

Thank you for that diagram! I took a look at below my clutch slave cylinder and I didn't see a fuse panel rather a bunch of wires connecting. However, nonetheless, I didn't see the slave cylinder leaking but I'll take another better look with a flashlight you stated. I did check the 7.5 trans amp and replace it along with cleaning the contacts. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find.
Realized I was looking at the wrong thing lol. Will check again and report back as well as tracing out that diagram