Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fender Flare Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fender Flare Paint

I have a stock 97 XJ flame red. The fender flares are red and are fading from sun damage. I've read ad nauseam about flares but everyone on here talks about painting/repainting flares black.

My question is this. Am I better off removing the flares, sanding them down or using compound agent then painting them with Flame Red spray paint off amazon or buying new flares off rock auto and taking them to a professional?

I'd post pictures but it wont' seem to let me...trouble I've had before.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Keeping in mind that I have black textured unpainted fender flares, I would do everything I could to keep the factory flares, as I think the aftermarket ones aren't really all that great.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

Depends on your skills and tools. It's an easy job in the driveway. Start with a very clean vehicle. Here's the Pro way to do it ...you could do them either on or off:
1) If the rest of your vehicle's paint is good, carefully apply tape on the body around the fender flares. The tape should butt up against the flares. The purpose is to protect the paint from the next step

2) Get some 400 grit 3M wet/dry sandpaper and with warm soapy water in a bucket. The soapy water will carry the sanding dust away and also degrease at the same time (important). Cut or tear the 8x11 sheet in half, then with one of the halves, fold it into thirds. Just proceed to hand sand the flares and get up as close to the body as possible. The tape will protect the paint. Be absolutely thorough, and make sure there are NO unsanded areas including the underneath area. Use a sponge to add water while you are sanding. Do not get any sand in your work ...NOT EVEN ONE GRAIN! Sand will cause a deep scratch which will be difficult if not impossible to sand out. Therefore the vehicle must be clean and grease-free before. When finished with all flares, remove the tape and thoroughly clean with fresh water. Allow overnight or several hours to dry.

3) If you're doing a driveway job, just get some primer like Dupli-color self-etching primer. Mask off the car ...put masking tape on the body right up to the flares. You may want to mask the area with paper ..newsprint will work ok. Cover the vehicle in plastic ...like large sheets of painters plastic. The cheap folded sheets are ok. Be sure all seams and holes in any paper or masking plastic are sealed with masking tape .....You can't allow ANY paint to get on the body. Don't prime yet.

4) Get a pint of your vehicle's color ...I would suggest, in your case to spray a single-stage urethane ..with activator. Nason works well, Omni ...it really doesn't matter to me. Beware, Red is the most expensive pigment. Have everything ready to go, including your paint mixed. Don't do this on a windy day ...or do it in a warm shop (using the proper paint respirator (not a dust mask)). Clean off any dust with a tack cloth, then spray a light coat of primer on each flare. You don't need full coverage. Just one light coat. Then come around and put on another coat. Wait 15 minutes and sprat a coat of paint on them. I'm assuming you are using an air spray gun. Wait 20 min and apply a second coat. That'll probably be enough.
The following users liked this post:
Miccalto@13 (02-28-2024)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

BTW, can you post a picture what they look like? Maybe they can be buffed?

If you don't mind paying a shop, it might be a better way to go for you, if you don't have a spray gun. Especially if you do the sanding work and sand them while on the vehicle (they won't move around when mounted), and take them to the shop. You can get a better job off the vehicle and it's an easy spray for a shop. Quick filler work. They can mix only a smidge of paint. I would have them spray basecoat/clearcoat on them. You want at least 2x coats of clear, if not 3. Bear in mind the backing brackets nuts may be rusty ..depending on where you live.