Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Faster XJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default Faster XJ

I know it doesnt seem to be a popular theme with Jeeps but I am wanting to know some things that can be done to make these things faster, that wont break the bank. I have moded my intake and exhaust, and upgraded my cooling but it just isnt enough for me. I dont care about offroading really but blowing these little ricers doors off is sure a lot of fun.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I have a 400 HP supercharged Mustang GT i use for that very thing.... The jeep is just for errands and commuting/enjoying a quiet car. Not much you can do to it that will be cheap. The main thing comes down to weight Jeep's are a 4x4 SUV with a I6.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:32 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yeah aside from builder or buying a stroker you aren't going to get enough out of a stock 4.0 without spending some cash..
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

its a jeep not a race car
Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

they sell bigger throttle bodies and by exhaust upgrade did you just put a muffler on it? If so buy a header. i know that you can get programers for cherokees. By intake did you just put a cone filter on? They also sell different camshafts for the I6. Stroker is the best power adder you could do but i doubt it is what you call cost effective. If i were you i would just buy a race car and stop trying to make a 4x4 fast.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by sk8ertht540s
they sell bigger throttle bodies and by exhaust upgrade did you just put a muffler on it? If so buy a header. i know that you can get programers for cherokees. By intake did you just put a cone filter on? They also sell different camshafts for the I6. Stroker is the best power adder you could do but i doubt it is what you call cost effective. If i were you i would just buy a race car and stop trying to make a 4x4 fast.
i see your point but i also see his...while the jeep isnt a race car .. wheres the challenge in taking someing and transforming it into something else. I say dont listen to the nay sayers and go to it...while it might not be the easiest project it will deffinitly be cool in the end.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Default Upgrades

Well I looked at the factory airbox and it had only a small hole open towards the grill. I took my Dremel and cut the front and the side towards the fender out and put a K&N filter on it. Then I bored my throttle body out a little(that started a little whistle at like 2500 RPMs). I Had a Flowmaster put on it and I gutted the third Catalytic Converter. I could tell a difference with all of these, in throttle response and take off. This all started with a buddy that had a souped up Festiva(I mean who would really do this)that would smoke GTs and Z28s. Then I had a 98 Mustang GT and had Cherokees smoke me from time to time. Heck thats the whole reason I bought a Cherokee. I have every intention of Strocking it when it kicks the bucket. I started this thread mainly for people like me that are more concerned about speed than how big of a rock they can climb.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Greenebean, what did you gut out in the catalytic converter. Whats in it, is it a filter or what. And alsom, does your check engine light go on when you drive it and is your vehicle louder than before?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Engine: 242 6cyl

Originally Posted by Greenebean
Well I looked at the factory airbox and it had only a small hole open towards the grill. I took my Dremel and cut the front and the side towards the fender out and put a K&N filter on it. Then I bored my throttle body out a little(that started a little whistle at like 2500 RPMs). I Had a Flowmaster put on it and I gutted the third Catalytic Converter. I could tell a difference with all of these, in throttle response and take off. This all started with a buddy that had a souped up Festiva(I mean who would really do this)that would smoke GTs and Z28s. Then I had a 98 Mustang GT and had Cherokees smoke me from time to time. Heck thats the whole reason I bought a Cherokee. I have every intention of Strocking it when it kicks the bucket. I started this thread mainly for people like me that are more concerned about speed than how big of a rock they can climb.

I used to be you until i got my 01 z28 finaly got that into the 10's so im done with that and moving on to the jeep......But now im goin for lift bigger tires etc. etc. back when i had my other jeep i started buying turbo parts had everything but the manifold then i gave up (regret it now) but check this site out http://www.naxja.org/forum/ they have a street jeep section for people who dont really care how there XJ does offroad hope this helps and good luck!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

ok gotta throw my 2 cents in. i have always thought it would be awesome to take a 2 wheel drive cherokee stroke it out and throw on a supercharger and just stomp the hell outa people on the street. i have seen one with a 5 litre h.o. put in it.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Engine: 242 6cyl

Originally Posted by slowfreefall
ok gotta throw my 2 cents in. i have always thought it would be awesome to take a 2 wheel drive cherokee stroke it out and throw on a supercharger and just stomp the hell outa people on the street. i have seen one with a 5 litre h.o. put in it.

Over in Isreal they have a twin turbo LS1 it's the sickest thing i have ever seen......
Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Cats

Originally Posted by Phil99
Greenebean, what did you gut out in the catalytic converter. Whats in it, is it a filter or what. And alsom, does your check engine light go on when you drive it and is your vehicle louder than before?
My 96 XJ only had one cat with O2 sensors before and after. I cut it off and then took a long chisel and hammer and busted the guts out till it was clean(keep in mind this is illegal in some states and that the substance in the cat makes a toxic dust that you shouldnt breath). On my current 00 XJ it has three cats, two at the header and one before the muffler. They added and moved the O2 sensors to two before and two after the ones at the header. Those would be a pain to get to so I just went for the one before the muffler. Using the same technique I gutted it and had it put back on. On both XJs I could tell a big difference in the sound it had a deeper more throaty sound and on both XJs I have had no check engine light trouble. On the other hand I do think my MPG have went down with the increase in power.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

On the other hand I do think my MPG have went down with the increase in power.[/QUOTE]

that could be due to the right foot!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

there is a member at the forum on my sign that just made a turbo set up on this xj.. you might want to check that out...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

be careful actually going fast, cherokees arent exactly designed for speed not many 4x4s are. THEY FLIP EASY

Quick Reply: Faster XJ