Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fan still rubs after new trans and motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default fan still rubs after new trans and motor mount

About a year ago I installed new brown dog motor mounts which were in dire need as the left one was completely gone. Since this year has passed, I keep getting the sound that the left electrical fan is rubbing the power steering pulley and the evidence is clear on the fan where holes have been worn into it.

My fan is oem and I have no front end damage. Everything is in the right place. I dont here the fan while driving but only when I come to a complete stop. While at the stop, if I put it in neutral the rubbing sound goes away. I dont know what more to do than to keep it running, block the tires, put it in drive and see if my problem is really what I think it is.

This past weekend I installed a new transmission mount. It was a really easy job and only took about an hour. It would have taken less time but I took the time to clean the trans skid plate and probably scraped about a pound of oil and dirt from it. Thinking that the fan rubbing sound would go away, it still hasnt and now I have a new sound. This one sounds like its where I installed the trans mount and kind of sounds like its being stretched or like its loose but only when I am at a complete stop and then give it gas and start again.

Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Pictures please, Only think i can think of is the mounts are wrong.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Yeah, at first blush I'd say the mounts are wrong somehow. But...

Given that the engine, trans, and t-case (if 4x4) are all bolted together with no play between them, it would seem you'd have alignment issues with the trans mount to cross member bolts if the engine were too far forward.

Are you sure the fan wasn't removed previously and installed incorrectly? If I recall, the fan housing has a couple of tabs on the bottom of it that are supposed to go into some slots in the radiator support brace. If they aren't seated correctly, you may have some shifting around that is causing the issue.