Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fan Shroud help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 PM
jeepman1968

Default Fan Shroud help please

I have a 2000 XJ with a 4.0 engine. It did not come with a fan shroud. I purchased a new shroud and the tabs do not line up with the bracket on bottom of radiator. It seems I may be missing some clips that connect the tabs on shroud to bracket. What gives? Thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 AM
jeepman1968

So there isn't anyone on here with a cherokee xj with a fan shroud that will take the time to answer my question?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

How is your engine not overheating without a fan shroud is what I want to know.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Mine doesn't have a shroud and it doesn't over heat. OP, I'm watching your question because mine broke, and when my mechanic worked on my AC he took the rest of the broken shroud off so I'm not sure how they hoook up.

When I was looking for a shroud, i discovered that there are several different ones for different years. Maybe you have the wrong one. Mine looks like two tabs slide in the bottom and two screws at the top. I'll be watching, please post the fix.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 AM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

It sounds like you may have the wrong shroud. Mine was a simple drop-in, line up the tabs and slid it into place.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Get the right one ,if you got the right one try harder ,your just missing the holes, lol do you here that often?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:06 PM
jeepman1968

It is actually my son's jeep. He did get it hot. We replaced engine and needed to get a shroud for the warranty to be valid. We picked one up at the salvage yard and it didn't fit correctly so we ordered one from the dealer and it was the same. The round part of the shroud interferes with the bottom bracket before the tabs line up. I will just trim the bracket and it will work. I just thought there may be some parts missing. And as for not hitting the hole, the only person I have heard that from was your mom.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:24 PM

i dont overheat and i dont have one, but i do recommend them as iv already stuck my finger in the fan once
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Originally Posted by jeepman1968
It is actually my son's jeep. He did get it hot. We replaced engine and needed to get a shroud for the warranty to be valid. We picked one up at the salvage yard and it didn't fit correctly so we ordered one from the dealer and it was the same. The round part of the shroud interferes with the bottom bracket before the tabs line up. I will just trim the bracket and it will work. I just thought there may be some parts missing. And as for not hitting the hole, the only person I have heard that from was your mom.
Maybe you should have done some research, figure it out, and be happy. Instead of trying to start flames. Research, check out what you have, research more.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by jeepman1968

Grown men do not speak this way.

Sell the XJ and buy one of those rice burner cars. Then you can hang with the homies or homlies or whatever those butt nuggets call each other.

Apologize to the man or get lost.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
How is your engine not overheating without a fan shroud is what I want to know.

i got pissed and ripped my fan shroud out years ago. i have yet to have problems
Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 PM

...just...wow.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

welcome to cf! your qestions are welcome here, but if you start flames with a member here you start flames with all the members......so be care what you speak and type on here. "FATHERS" aka GROWN men shold not react this why to a simple joke.....but none the less welcome
Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
jeepman1968

Hey. Don't be hatin' on me because i responded to an unnecessary comment in the way i saw fit. All i was doing was trying to get a little help on my jeep. I'm sorry you people wear your feelings on your shirt sleeves. I will sell this XJ and let him drive one of my other real jeeps instead of this squeaky unibody hunk of crap. Yall enjoy. I'm out.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:40 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I would like to state the very obvious detail that the engine fan needs to be removed before the shroud can even go in. Then to put the fan and shroud back on together. I dont know if you did that already but im letting you know. Also how did you order an engine from a dealer that didnt fit, that doesnt make any sense. Good luck with the fan.

Quick Reply: Fan Shroud help please