Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fan clutch bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 600 HP
Default fan clutch bad?

OK so i was reading a post the other day and someone said you know your fan clutch is bad if your fan doesn't stop immediately after your motor stops.
so i looked at mine and after the motor stooped the fan went around
like 1 to 2 times. is it bad?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

That sounds about right. With the engine off, try to turn it by hand, you should have resisitance. I just replaced mine because it wasn't turning at all when the engine was running.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mark's91-XJ
OK so i was reading a post the other day and someone said you know your fan clutch is bad if your fan doesn't stop immediately after your motor stops.
so i looked at mine and after the motor stooped the fan went around
like 1 to 2 times. is it bad?
That was me who said that...just my way of testing it because the turning it by hand method wasn't definitive for me. Sounds like yours might be on it's way out, but not completely bad yet. Let me ask a question, though. Was your engine completely up to operating temp when you shut it off to watch the fan? The reason I ask is that the fan clutch itself needs to be hot for this test to work. The clutch has some kind of silicone-like fluid inside that gradually engages the fan as it gets hotter.

My bad fan clutch would spin probably 3-5 times after engine shutoff and my new one would not even spin 1/2 of a rotation (again, when hot, this is key ). I would replace it if I were you and not wait for it to be completely non-functioning. These 4.0s need all the help they can get when it comes to cooling. Feel the air flow before and after...for mine, it was the difference between a breeze and hurricane force wind!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

if it doesnt roar like a jet plane when you first start the motor and drive (when the motor is cold from sitting overnight) the clutch is bad.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:26 AM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

thanks guys. the motor was cold, but i too think its on its way out. it gets parody hot here in summer, so I'm just going to replace it.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

The fan clutch should slip more when cold than when hot (it never becomes a direct mechanical connection.) I've noted a service life of about five years for the fan clutch, in the XJ.

Once the engine is good and warm, turn it off and try to turn the fan by hand - there should be significant resistance. Alternatively, heat the fan clutch up at the hub with a heat gun or a hair dryer, and then try to spin.

While you should get some resistance when it's cold, it won't be much - and it's not what you're looking to find out.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:48 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Fan clutch

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
That was me who said that...just my way of testing it because the turning it by hand method wasn't definitive for me. Sounds like yours might be on it's way out, but not completely bad yet. Let me ask a question, though. Was your engine completely up to operating temp when you shut it off to watch the fan? The reason I ask is that the fan clutch itself needs to be hot for this test to work. The clutch has some kind of silicone-like fluid inside that gradually engages the fan as it gets hotter.

My bad fan clutch would spin probably 3-5 times after engine shutoff and my new one would not even spin 1/2 of a rotation (again, when hot, this is key ). I would replace it if I were you and not wait for it to be completely non-functioning. These 4.0s need all the help they can get when it comes to cooling. Feel the air flow before and after...for mine, it was the difference between a breeze and hurricane force wind!
hey there, so I was going through reading reasons my jeep overheats just idling. Going down road even at 25 is fine but not at idle. I seen this post and let my jeep warm up.. when I turned it off I was able to walk around to the front and the fan was STILL spinning for another 4 seconds.. soooooo fan clutch is bad??
Old 07-05-2021, 07:42 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

See my reply to the other thread you started.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:31 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Buy the OEM MOPAR unit. The Chinese aftermarket stuff does not last from what I have read

Originally Posted by mark's91-XJ
thanks guys. the motor was cold, but i too think its on its way out. it gets parody hot here in summer, so I'm just going to replace it.