Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ez locker install

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ez locker install

I'm attempting to lock my d35, the ez locker isn't working for me.

Wouldn't have got it but I got the locker brandy new for 140 so i figgured why not, put it in there.

I put it all in according to manufacturers directions about a week and a half ago, went for the test drive and i heard horrible self destructing noises. My center pin had flats on it ~ where it would cam out which i didn't like.

I called tractec and asked if i needed a new pin cause I thought I did. They said I should also replace the thrust washers while I was at it. I asked if there were any tolerances I could check for and he said no, I laughed and said "it should just work?" he said yes. Also verifyed that that part number matched my 99 cherokee with abs.

I ordered up the parts, (solid cross pin and new thrust washers) and got them today. I looked at aussie locker and got their tolerances (I have one in the front and remember them listing them)

aussie says cam gear space: .014 - .017 and spacer to cross pin .005-.020.

I installed my new parts and the locker again and measured. cam gear space was .015 and the spacer to cross pin space was good. I don't know what it was cause I used a .020 feeler gauge that didn't fit and a .005 feeler gauge that did.

tested, and still horrendous noises. took the cover off and has my buddy roll it foward while braking so i could see it. there is still enough tolerance for both cam gears to move in and slip.

so in my mind the locker is brand new, and junk because the tolerances within their parts must be off.
1) cam gear isn't thick enough
2) "cam"/center pin hole is too deep
3) spacer is too thick AND I need more shims which i shouldn't need
4) teeth aren't tall enough

anything else it could be or tolerances that are better suited for an ez locker? its been a week and a half and im going to have to put the spider gears back in tomorrow if I can't think of anything.

anyone have any experience with this or tips besides don't lock a 35, don't buy an ez locker, or get an aussie?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

update: I attempted to shim and I can't. if I add any shims I can't get the second cam gear in. Its definetly tight enough and still not working.

attempted to ez locker figgureing wheel the d35 locked till it breaks. its back to open and i located an mj d44 for 150 at a jy so imma weld on some perches and at least a d44 is worthy of a better locker.

if anyone thinks they can figgure it out, thinks its my carriers fault, or just wants it make me an offer. it is brand new, less the .1 miles lol.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

i have no clue about this but i hope you figure it out. Did you get the original reciept when you bought it? Can you return it for a new one?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

got it from a fellow jeeper that went 8.8 before installing so no chance of return or credit. I cant shim anymore and still fit it so im penny saving and building a 44 or 8.8 with a full carrier locker in it over the winter to install in the spring. I don't think i would like the lunch box too much in the rear in the snow, but i was willing to try it, ez locker said no