Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Extremely hot passenger floorboards against tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Extremely hot passenger floorboards against tunnel

Ok, so I have a 98 XJ, AW4, 4.0L, with my carpet installed.

My thing is that the passenger side floorboard gets really hot. To the point that I can't run floor mats on that side b/c they make so much condensation creates and makes the carpet wet.

My question is, is there anything mechanical wise I should be looking for for this abnormal heat? I know a clogged CAT can make it heat up but I don't really have any hesitation or terrible gas mileage that would make me think that but the truck has 235k on it and for all I know it hasn't been changed.

The bend in the exhaust is right where the heat in the floorboards is so I figure that is what it is but I'm wondering if it is abnormally high though. I still have the carpet in too.

I was thinking of installing a heat mat under the carpet or even under the truck to deflect some of the heat but wanted to ask around first.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

You sure it isn't a heater core leaking? Notice any coolant loss recently? Seems wierd that condensation would form under the mat like that.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Year: 1994

Maybe that heat shield above the pipe is missing ?? My '94 has a shield there...
Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 PM

I have very heavy mats...very thick. Don't think it is the heater core but maybe. Haven't noticed any signs of the heater core being bad. The floor only gets wet when the mat is there and when you lift it up only the top half of the mat has water on it....just under the mat.

Originally Posted by drhoward1988
You sure it isn't a heater core leaking? Notice any coolant loss recently? Seems wierd that condensation would form under the mat like that.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 PM

See this is what I was wondering. The last time I looked, I don't remember seeing anything between where the exhaust pipe comes down and does the little S curve heading back and where the floorboard/tunnel is. There is only a handful of inches between my pipe and metal of the floor. Is there a shield supposed to be there where the pipe curves around the tranny?

Originally Posted by steelybill
Maybe that heat shield above the pipe is missing ?? My '94 has a shield there...
Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by nick2326
I have very heavy mats...very thick. Don't think it is the heater core but maybe. Haven't noticed any signs of the heater core being bad. The floor only gets wet when the mat is there and when you lift it up only the top half of the mat has water on it....just under the mat.
Heat is not going to cause condensation on your floorboard. Exactly the opposite, heat should be making it evaporate instead.

You probably have a leaking heater core, a cowl/body/windshield leak or a plugged drain. Your reasoning is backwards: You see the evidence of the leak when the mat is there because the mat is holding the fluid. When the mat is not there, you're not seeing the fluid because the exhaust heat is evaporating it.

Is the fluid the only problem, or is the floorboard hot enough to cause other issues? If you still need to reduce the heat there, you could wrap the pipe in exhaust tape to insulate it.

If you do reduce the heat, I anticipate your leak problem will get worse.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 PM

See I was thinking the same thing. When I take the mats up thought the floors are as dry as can be. I had the windshield replaced a few years ago b/c it was leaking so I don't think it is that. I have looked in the cowl the best I can and have never seen anything. Idk about the drain though but I would think that even a decent about of water, as long and none was being added, would dry even if the drain was plugged.

It just boggles my mind b/c it only gets damp when the mats are on it. And it is just part of the mat that gets moist when I put them down. I can put them on there and put the heat or air going to the feet and it will still get wet ONLY when the mat is down.

It gets extremely hot though. Not enough to ignite anything but to the point of if you tossed a bag down there you wouldn't be able to set the bag on your hand after an hr drive b/c it would be so hot. And it is just in that one spot. It is very hot to the touch when nothing is on it too.

Is there anyway to check the heater core for a leak like that? I'm not losing fluid or anything though. I'm just at a loss for ideas unless it is missing a heat shield or something and the difference in temp from the cool mat and the hot carpet causes condensation on the mat like a water bottle.

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Heat is not going to cause condensation on your floorboard. Exactly the opposite, heat should be making it evaporate instead.

You probably have a leaking heater core, a cowl/body/windshield leak or a plugged drain. Your reasoning is backwards: You see the evidence of the leak when the mat is there because the mat is holding the fluid. When the mat is not there, you're not seeing the fluid because the exhaust heat is evaporating it.

Is the fluid the only problem, or is the floorboard hot enough to cause other issues? If you still need to reduce the heat there, you could wrap the pipe in exhaust tape to insulate it.

If you do reduce the heat, I anticipate your leak problem will get worse.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

My floor gets hot as well. So hot that I can barely touch it. I have no carpet so I figured it was normal
Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If the windshield was leaking a couple of yrs ago it could be rust in the channel have saw that before. Not saying that is the cause but food for thought as well as all the above causes.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:06 AM

See I was thinking the same thing. When I take the mats up thought the floors are as dry as can be. I had the windshield replaced a few years ago b/c it was leaking so I don't think it is that. I have looked in the cowl the best I can and have never seen anything. Idk about the drain though but I would think that even a decent about of water, as long and none was being added, would dry even if the drain was plugged.

It just boggles my mind b/c it only gets damp when the mats are on it. And it is just part of the mat that gets moist when I put them down. I can put them on there and put the heat or air going to the feet and it will still get wet ONLY when the mat is down.

It gets extremely hot though. Not enough to ignite anything but to the point of if you tossed a bag down there you wouldn't be able to set the bag on your hand after an hr drive b/c it would be so hot. And it is just in that one spot. It is very hot to the touch when nothing is on it too.

Is there anyway to check the heater core for a leak like that? I'm not losing fluid or anything though. I'm just at a loss for ideas unless it is missing a heat shield or something and the difference in temp from the cool mat and the hot carpet causes condensation on the mat like a water bottle.
I think you're misunderstanding the "condensation issue". What you really have is an evaporation issue. The water thats leaking in is getting evaporated by the heat generated from the exhaust that runs under the floor. When the floor mat is there, it catches that water being evaporated and it collects there since the water has nowhere to go. When the mat is gone, the water has somewhere to evaporate to in the cabin of your jeep.

Fix the water leak first.

As for the heat, I don't have much trouble in my 98 but I had a similar issue in an S10 that I owned for some time. It would get so hot people didn't like to put their feet down when riding with me. I ended up riveted in some aluminum to act as a heat shield and it cooled everything very well.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 PM

They completely resealed it when they took it out though. That's the only thing. The guy that did it told me that a ton of people try to home-brew fixes for leaks with silicon and how dumb that is b/c it causes the metal to rust there and cause other leaks.

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
If the windshield was leaking a couple of yrs ago it could be rust in the channel have saw that before. Not saying that is the cause but food for thought as well as all the above causes.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:24 PM

No I fully understand I just don't think that is it. I'm trying to find a way to type it out without sounding like a tool, lol. It might be what you are saying which would totally be an evap. issue but my thing is...there should be other evidence of a leak wouldn't there? Or how would I go about checking for a leak, even a small one?

Originally Posted by Rcrivolio
I think you're misunderstanding the "condensation issue". What you really have is an evaporation issue. The water thats leaking in is getting evaporated by the heat generated from the exhaust that runs under the floor. When the floor mat is there, it catches that water being evaporated and it collects there since the water has nowhere to go. When the mat is gone, the water has somewhere to evaporate to in the cabin of your jeep.

Fix the water leak first.

As for the heat, I don't have much trouble in my 98 but I had a similar issue in an S10 that I owned for some time. It would get so hot people didn't like to put their feet down when riding with me. I ended up riveted in some aluminum to act as a heat shield and it cooled everything very well.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

It might be what you are saying which would totally be an evap. issue but my thing is...there should be other evidence of a leak wouldn't there?
There's fluid in your floorboard. What other evidence do you need?

The way you were hoping it's getting there (condensation) isn't happening. That only leaves a leak. Or a urinating gnome that lives under your passenger seat.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 PM

The thing is the fluid is only there when the mat is in the floorboard...otherwise they are bone dry all the time.

Originally Posted by extrashaky
There's fluid in your floorboard. What other evidence do you need?

The way you were hoping it's getting there (condensation) isn't happening. That only leaves a leak. Or a urinating gnome that lives under your passenger seat.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Have you actually pulled the carpet and padding up?

Quick Reply: Extremely hot passenger floorboards against tunnel