Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Extreme heat in engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Extreme heat in engine compartment

I am a mail carrier. I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee in-line 6 Right Hand Dr. the engine compartment is getting extremely hot and seems to be messing with my electronics. Any ideas? The engine is not running high according to my gauge .
Old 07-11-2018, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Is it getting abnormally hot? Normally the engine bay will be extremely hot.

If you are doing a lot of slow speed mail delivery, a larger fan clutch out of a ZJ Grand Cherokee would help increase airflow and bring engine bay temps down a touch. Adding some Napier hood vents would further reduce underhood temperature. Normally though, it should not be necessary. The majority of heat vents under the vehicle under normal circumstances

Have you kept up on the cooling system maintenance? Thoroughly flushed system and fresh coolant? New hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, water pump, radiator, etc? New fan clutch and working electric fan? Cheap insurance if your XJ is a working vehicle. Don't forget to actually clean the AC Condenser and radiator, over time they get a layer of road film which hurts airflow and heat exchange. None of those will really help with underhood temps though

Last edited by investinwaffles; 07-11-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:15 PM

It only seems to do it on the route. And yes there’s a lot of slow stop and go going on. My mechanic says it’s the hottest engine compartment he’s ever dealt with . It has a heavy steel brush guard underneath and I’m wondering if that traps heat and the stop and go situation . Cooling system is well-maintained and this only happens in the hottest of summer on the route .
Old 07-11-2018, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Unfortunately, "Extreme Heat" is hard to compare, as it is subjective. Do you have a cheap IR thermometer around? Next time you think the engine compartment is extremely hot, shoot a measurement of the hood (with it closed), then open it and shoot a measurement of the valve cover and the thermostat housing and a the main coolant hose that runs near the battery. Then post those numbers here. Then someone like myself can compare them to my 96 that is having no heat problems, and we can see if there is a large difference, or anything to be concerned about.

In general, XJs have a very hot engine compartment. Your mechanic is right. They have a higher than average operating temperature as well. But we can find out if yours is even hotter than it should be. Though if your dash gauge shows normal temperature ranges, that is a good sign that things are probably ok.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Angela Cook
My mechanic says it’s the hottest engine compartment he’s ever dealt with .
That's our Cherokees! They do keep that engine compartment sizzling.

Originally Posted by Angela Cook
It has a heavy steel brush guard underneath and I’m wondering if that traps heat and the stop and go situation .
Could be. Are you sure it's steel? There is a plastic splash guard that goes behind the radiator and keeps water from splashing up on the alternator. That does trap a bit of air. Most Cherokees seem to have lost it along the way somewhere, but it is a standard item.

Post a pic and we can tell you if it's stock.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Yes it is steel. I can’t post a pic because I had my mechanic take it off today and haven’t brought it home.I have had 3 1996 Jeep Cherokees this is the only one that came with this kind of guard. All systems are working smoothly until after a couple of hours of stop and go delivering. It is not throwing any codes.