Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exhaust System on 1998 XJ 4.0/242

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Exhaust System on 1998 XJ 4.0/242

Well, it looks like it's that time. I think I need a new exhaust system. My 1998 XJ is running very loud with lots of exhaust noise. Is this something I can do myself? I replaced the exhaust manifold this past July so I'd need to do everything except the manifold. Is there any welding or soldering involved? I'd like to do it on my own if it's possible. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris
1998 Jeep XJ
227,355 miles
4.0/242
Old 11-01-2018, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

You should be able to do this pretty easily if you've already done the manifold.

Take good care when buying a front pipe - I got the walker cheapo brand and didn't read the amazon reviews - the O2 sensor bung (my 95 only has 1 sensor and it's in the front pipe) was NOT in the original location and where they moved it to is a horrid spot.

You can clamp everything up really tightly and probably be fine, but if you want to be sure that there are no leaks, I'd weld the seams afterward. If you are like myself and do not have welding skills or equipment, you can probably have any half-decent exhaust or welding/body shop do it for less than the catalytic converter will cost you.

Before you do anything else though, I'd re-check the torque on the intake/exhaust bolts. Considering you've recently done the manifold and it's common to have these bolts loosen up a bit over time, your problem may be as simple as that. Cruiser said that back in the day they would re-torque the bolts as part of the 30k service since it was such a common thing. Plus, it's free and not overwhelmingly difficult.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Have you looked underneath to see what you really need? You might just need a muffler. Or maybe you need a muffler and an intermediate pipe, or a tailpipe? I've had several Jeeps and replaced several mufflers, a couple tailpipes and intermediate pipes in 20 years but only 1 front pipe and two catylitic converters. And the only reason I needed to replace the one front pipe is because it got bent and was hitting the underside (and making annoying 'tapping' noises). The key wear areas are: Front 'doughnut gasket' which you may have already replaced, catalytic converter (the element inside becomes cracked/rattles), the intermediate pipe between the converter and the muffler, the muffler itself, and the tailpipe.

I would strongly recommend sourcing quality Aluminized pipe for the intermediate and tail pipes as they tend to rust more. I put aluminized pipe on mine after a couple rust-outs and never had to replace another. You can re-use the pipes if it's just the muffler that rusts out. I never clamp the pipes or completely weld. There are better ways to plan for future exhaust repairs (and keep costs down). Clamping means you can't get the old pipes apart when you need to, plus it distorts the pipes and goof up the sealing anyway. Just two or three easy tack welds ...no more, in easy to access areas (sides and bottom). The pipes will rust a little at the joint in a few days and should seal right up, and hold themselves tight. That way, when (not IF) the muffler craps out in a few short years (which they ALWAYS do), then I can cut the tack welds, heat the pipes with a torch and break the joint apart ...and reuse the pipes. Put tack welds in easy-to-grind areas. I bought a stainless steel Walker muffler for my current XJ ...it's about 7 years old and just about rusted out. Certainly not anywhere near the lifetime warranty they claimed. Cheap stainless. I'd say it lasted about twice as long as a regular Walker muffler. I'm in the rust-belt too. Part of the combustion byproduct is carbonic acid which when mixed with water is somewhat acidic. I hope to get a replacement new SS muffler one of these days. If you have access to an acetylene torch, use it. It's almost an essential exhaust tool.

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 11-02-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Short answer: You can do the job w/o any welding or torch work. It's all bolt-together stuff with clamps. But if you have access to a torch and welder it allows a guy to do some additional type of exhaust work. A guy could probably do the same kind of work with stainless band-clamps. Having the ability to remove parts of the exhaust system when you want to allows for some creative work, like replacing ONLY exh parts that need it, or doing certain mechanical work or gas tank work. But in reality, the chances are pretty slim you'll need to do those. But it's an option to keep in the back of the mind.....