Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

evap code

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default evap code

jeep spit a code for the evap line. shop told me its off the gas tank. said it happens to jeeps alot. im not paying them to do it but i have to pass emissions in less than a month. anyone know what im looking for? they wouldnt tell me. just need to do that and the cat and im good to go
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Go to advanced auto parts.Have them pull the code.They will tell you the code and parts needed to do the job.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DDfammobile
jeep spit a code for the evap line. shop told me its off the gas tank. said it happens to jeeps alot. im not paying them to do it but i have to pass emissions in less than a month. anyone know what im looking for? they wouldnt tell me. just need to do that and the cat and im good to go
The shop guy was right, it does happen alot, especially Jeeps from the rust belt.

The line he's talking about is the fuel tank roll-over valve vent line to the charcoal canister. The tube from the roll-over valve, on top of the tank, is plastic, then it connects to a steel tube, which goes to the canister. The steel tube rusts out to the point where a hole forms in it and there's your vacuum leak.

Mine was like that. I removed the steel tube and installed a length of fuel hose in its place. I needed a coupler to join it to the rubber elbow that connects to the canister. Secured it inplace with electrical cable ties.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Straight 6

Originally Posted by CCKen
The shop guy was right, it does happen alot, especially Jeeps from the rust belt.

The line he's talking about is the fuel tank roll-over valve vent line to the charcoal canister. The tube from the roll-over valve, on top of the tank, is plastic, then it connects to a steel tube, which goes to the canister. The steel tube rusts out to the point where a hole forms in it and there's your vacuum leak.

Mine was like that. I removed the steel tube and installed a length of fuel hose in its place. I needed a coupler to join it to the rubber elbow that connects to the canister. Secured it inplace with electrical cable ties.
thank you very much sir