Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Error code emiss maint

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Error code emiss maint

Just WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THE ERROR CODE EMISS MAINT MEANS. I HAVE A 1990 JEEP CHEROKEE INL 6 4.0 AND THAT CAME UP TWO DAYS AGO. WHAT DOES IT MEAN I HAVE TO DO??
Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Mikashera
Just WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THE ERROR CODE EMISS MAINT MEANS. I HAVE A 1990 JEEP CHEROKEE INL 6 4.0 AND THAT CAME UP TWO DAYS AGO. WHAT DOES IT MEAN I HAVE TO DO??
Don't worry about it. There is actually just a timer under the dash that triggers that light so that you check the O2 sensor. The light doesn't mean that anything is wrong as it is just the timer that turns it on. Apparently most people just find the timer and remove it to make the light go out. I just left mine. Its been on for months and I've had no problems.

P.S. on forums, caps lock means you're yelling. Hurts ppls feelings sometimes
Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...ht=EMISS+MAINT
Old 04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yeah I get that same light on my 91 XJ..I wouldn't worry about it like others said it's to remind you to change the O2 sensor. Needless to say I just ignore it.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:20 PM

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by BudgetXJ
Don't worry about it. There is actually just a timer under the dash that triggers that light so that you check the O2 sensor. The light doesn't mean that anything is wrong as it is just the timer that turns it on. Apparently most people just find the timer and remove it to make the light go out. I just left mine. Its been on for months and I've had no problems.

P.S. on forums, caps lock means you're yelling. Hurts ppls feelings sometimes
Hey thanks a bunch, I am so sorry about the caps, I am from Belize and I didnt know using that was disrespectful, I wont use it again. Hey I had a question though, I had my catalytic converter removed two months ago, my mechanic said that it was clogged up as no smoke was coming out my exhaust, he cut it off and now my exhaust is blowing fine, I have good power and my engine runs much better but its until now that I got that Error Code. I wanted to know if I need to have the cat converter on, I live in the caribbean so we dont really have a problem with pollution but will it do my engine bad if I dont have it on???
Old 05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Not really any harm to your engine. As others have said if that light bothers you just pull that timer. It is located right in front of your right knee when you are sitting in the drivers seat. It looks like an oversized relay with gears in it. Just unplug it and the light will go out. I check my sensors like the O2 sensor every 6 months and go by what readings I get on my multimeter to decide if they need replacement or adjustment in some cases.